Tag: 六年级小学生能做那个吗

World Food Program chief warns of vulnerable supply chains

first_imgTHE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The head of the World Food Program says that the COVID-19 pandemic highlighted the need to strengthen vulnerable supply chains to impoverished nations struggling to feed their populations. David Beasley, executive director of the United Nations’ Nobel Peace Prize-winning food program, warned Wednesday that the pandemic put further stress on supply chains getting food to the hungry. He has told a World Economic Forum panel discussion that “We’ve got to continue to work the system, we’ve got to make certain that we are … less vulnerable to COVID type impacts.” Beasley stressed that the food supply system is “not broken” but that 10% of the global population is in extreme poverty and needs to be reached by suppliers.last_img read more

Read more…

Apiata steps up for Big Buddy plan

first_imgNZ Herald 27 June 2014War hero Willie Apiata drew on his own experiences as a fatherless child to help launch a foundation close to his heart.New Zealand’s only living recipient of the Victoria Cross helped to launch the Big Buddy Foundation in Auckland last night, with Prime Minister John Key and All Black great Grant Fox.The foundation will secure funding for the existing Big Buddy mentoring programme, which matches fatherless boys with adult buddies on the philosophy that boys need positive male role models in their lives in order to become good men.Mr Apiata spoke of growing up without a father.“I was just lucky to live in a small community where there were male role models there for me to be able to seek support, advice and … finish off my training to become a man.”He felt privileged to be part of an organisation helping to build good young men, including 17-year-old Teraia Whatuira-Henderson, who gave a poignant speech about how much his buddy had helped him when his father committed suicide when he was 10.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11282559last_img read more

Read more…

Officials Detect Additional Cases of West Nile Virus in Miami-Dade

first_imgMiami-Dade County health officials late last week confirmed four more local cases of West Nile virus, bringing the county’s total to 18 residents.The Miami Herald reports that the county’s mosquito-control chief believes this summer’s resurgence of West Nile most likely reflects the heavy rains that cause mosquito populations to increase.For that reason, Miami-Dade is now under a mosquito-borne-illness alert.Officials announced that county’s first two cases of West Nile virus in May, and said both cases in county residents and occurred through local transmission.On June 11, health officials reported two additional cases, followed by 10 more on June 25.According to the health department, West Nile virus is the leading cause of mosquito-borne disease in the United States.There are no vaccines to prevent it or medications to treat it at this time.last_img read more

Read more…