By Faith PeppersUniversity of Georgia A late spring freeze followed by heavy rains were a blessing for some Georgia blueberry growers. But they brought more hard work to others, according to University of Georgia experts.The heavy rains delayed harvest of the southeast Georgia crop, causing some early concerns about highbush berry quality. “We had to work harder to make grade due to the heavy rains this spring, but it’s turning out to be good year for rabbiteye growers,” said UGA Cooperative Extension blueberry agent Danny Stanaland.“We grow two blueberry crops in Georgia – highbush and rabbiteye,” Stanaland went on to explain. The highbush crop in some areas of southeast Georgia, which is the state’s major commercial production area, “was hit hard by the late freeze and will produce only about 35 to 50 percent of the crop.” Robust rabbiteye cropFortunately, blueberry fans all over Georgia can expect a bumper crop from the rabbiteye variety. “It will be the largest crop of rabbiteye blueberries we’ve had in several years,” Stanaland said. That’s especially good news for Georgia’s 300 blueberry growers. The majority of the crop is rabbiteye variety, and about 10 percent of the total crop is highbush variety. “The highbush variety blooms and fruits early, making it more susceptible to the low temperatures and rain,” Stanaland said. “But, May 20 we finished harvesting highbush. That crop is gone.” Growers are now harvesting rabbiteye berries in three phases. “The early rabbiteye berries were wet and had some grading issues because it required more selective picking to get the good berries,” he said. “Now that it’s dry again, it’s much easier to harvest and grade, and fruit quality is very positive. We have the heaviest rabbiteye fruit set we’ve had in years. So, while we were short on highbush berries, we are going to be long on rabbiteye.”Pick-your-own timeIn the northern half of the state, where most blueberry operations are pick-your-own, growers are reporting larger-than-normal berries and an abundant crop, just in time for many markets to open this weekend. In 2008, Georgia blueberry growers harvested more than 14,000 acres of blueberries with an off-the-farm value of close to $61 million dollars, slightly above the five-year average. This year, growers expect to harvest between 12,000 and 14,000 acres, but that figure could surge as high as 15,000 to 20,000 acres, according to Stanaland and county Extension agent reports. About 75 percent of those acres are in southeast Georgia. Prices are holding steady in spite of the abundance of available fruit this year, which usually drives prices down. Growers are getting about $14 per flat — or $1.40 per pound — for fresh berries, only a shade lower than last year’s price.
Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Published on March 18, 2019 at 2:25 pm Contact Michael: [email protected] | @MikeJMcCleary Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse (4-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) rose to No. 12 in this week’s Inside Lacrosse men’s media poll.The Orange are coming off their second-straight comeback win with an 18-14 victory over then-No. 16 Rutgers on Saturday. SU outscored the Scarlet Knights 8-3 in the final quarter and have outscored opponents 14-4 in fourth quarters over its past two games.SU returns to action this weekend for the final game of its seven-game homestand to start the season on Sunday against Duke.
Related Articles Share TVBET passes GLI test for five live games in Malta and Italy August 25, 2020 CT Gaming bolsters Italian profile with The Betting Coach August 27, 2020 Submit StumbleUpon Italian bookmakers face cruel summer as ADM sanctions shop closures July 27, 2020 Share Whatever form the next Italian government takes following this March’s ground-breaking general election results, Italy’s new political taskmasters’ will have to revamp the country’s existing gambling framework.A coalition government, led by the legislative novices of the 5-Star Movement has a daunting task in creating a more cohesive industry framework, in-line with business provisions set out by Italy’s new ‘Stability Law of 2017’.In 2018, Italian betting stakeholders point to three critical industry concerns which must be addressed by the new government.First up, the government will have to adjudicate new proposals to add a further 10,000 new betting points within Italy’s autonomous regions.Set to be delivered this September, the betting industry has met resistance from multiple state regulators, who have implemented laws restricting the operating of betting points near ‘sensitive places’ such as churches, schools and hospitals.Further concerns are raised about whether a new government will move to approve new betting industry provisions, currently being revised by Italy’s Ministry of the Economy.Betting stakeholders seek a strengthening of the national betting code in relation to Asian Handicap offers, operator Cash-Out functionalities and setting fixed policy and clear practices on ‘market disputes’ relating to bookmakers and their customers.From a long-term industry standpoint, the new government will be tested on whether it can finally align Italy’s complex governing framework between the state and autonomous regions, which has affected previous governments presiding the betting sector.Revamping Italy’s gambling agenda, set in a previous agreement the industry had settled on reducing its overall slot machines portfolio by 35% from 400,000 to about 265,000, with licensed operators significantly reducing machine inventory in bars and tobacconists.Nevertheless, set against the constant battle of federal laws versus regional rights, Italy’s new political actors face numerous obstacles in delivering business/commercial alignment… Italian gambling stakeholders will have to wait and see whether 2018 will truly be a year of change!
Milan paid 18 million euros ($20.75 million) to sign him on loan, with a clause to make the deal permanent for a further 36 million euros.Higuain had his most successful season under Sarri, breaking the Serie A goalscoring record with 36 goals in the 2015/16 campaign.“I’ve talked to him a great deal, but it’s hard to give advice, because the career of a player only lasts 13-14 years,” continued Gattuso.“It’s his mind, not mine. The most important thing is to talk as men, look each other in the eyes and speak the truth.“I still don’t understand what Higuain’s unhappy about, because I see a happy lad, involved in the locker room.“We’ll see what happens. If it was up to me, I’d keep him at my house and feed him my dinner.”Share on: WhatsApp Milan, Italy | AFP | Gonzalo Higuain has made up his mind to leave AC Milan, coach Gennaro Gattuso said on Saturday amid speculation linking the striker to Premier League side Chelsea.Higuain joined Milan on a season-long loan from Juventus in July with an option to make the deal permanent, but he has struggled to settle at the San Siro, scoring eight goals in all competitions.The 31-year-old again drew a blank in AC Milan’s 2-0 Italian Cup win over Sampdoria on Saturday as substitute Patrick Cutrone netted a double in extra time.“When a player makes up his mind it becomes hard to convince them otherwise,” said Gattuso of Higuain.“I have a relationship with him that features great honesty, we say things to one another’s face.“At the moment, he’s our player and we’re holding on tightly to him. I don’t know what will happen.”The Argentina international reportedly wants to join his former Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea.
ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 3, 2016) – Bob Baffert’s trio of El Kabeir, Hoppertunity and Cat Burglar will all hope to cash in on the $500,000 purse in Saturday’s 79th running of the Grade II San Antonio Stakes at 1 1/8 miles contested on the main track.Formerly trained by New York based John Terranova, El Kabeir has been in Baffert’s shedrow here in Southern California since early December and will have his 4-year-old debut and a return to longer distances this Saturday. A winner of the Grade III, one mile Jerome at Aqueduct in January of his 3-year-old year and also a winner of the Grade III, mile and a sixteenth Gotham in March, El Kabeir most recently ran fourth to the 2015 Eclipse Champion Sprinter, Runhappy in the seven furlong, Grade I Malibu Dec. 26 at Santa Anita.With two bullet works serving as his most recent over the Santa Anita main track, El Kabeir would appear to like his new base of operations. Owned by the Triple Crown winning connections of Zayat Stables and by the late sire Scat Daddy, El Kabeir will gain the services of Gary Stevens for the first time in the San Antonio. El Kabeir is 12-5-2-2- overall with $852,892 in earnings.Hoppertunity, a 5-year-old by Any Given Saturday and a probable to travel to Dubai to run against California Chrome in the March 26th World Cup, hopes to win Saturday’s San Antonio first. A third to the late Shared Belief and California Chrome in this race last year, Hoppertunity won the Grade I Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs and Grade II San Pasqual at Santa Anita just prior to his San Antonio defeat in 2015.Out of 17 lifetime starts, his last 11 have all been consecutively run in Grade I or Grade II company. The bay gelding has only run out of the money once in nine starts over the Santa Anita main track and will gain Flavien Prat in the saddle Saturday. Owned by Karl Watson, Mike Pegram and Paul Weitman, he is 17-4-6-3 overall with $1,572,675 in earnings.Cat Burglar returns to his preferred track in the San Antonio as he attempts to win his first added money event. The often overlooked “other Baffert” in many of his 14 lifetime starts, has never run worse than second in six tries at The Great Race Place and most recently comes off a win in a mile allowance on Jan. 8 against San Antonio contender, Cyrus Alexander.The 6-year-old horse by the late Unbridled’s Song is owned by Michael Lund Petersen and will retain the services of Rafael Bejarano who was aboard for his most recent win. He is 14-4-4-3 overall with $ $334,400 in earnings.Also prominent, trainer Doug O’Neill will send out recently acquired Donworth for owner Paul Reddam’s Reddam Racing, LLC for the first time since purchasing the 4-year-old colt by Tiznow during Keeneland’s November breeding stock sale on Nov. 10. A winner of Delaware Park’s Stanton Stakes by 11 lengths on June 20 in his last out, brought $550,000 to top the sale when Dennis O’Neill, Doug’s brother and stable consultant bid by phone for the colt previously trained by Graham Motion.The complete field for the Grade II San Antonio, to be run as the 7th race on a nine race program Saturday, with jockeys and weights in post position order: Cat Burglar, Rafael Bejarano, 119; Donworth, Mario Gutierrez, 119; Cyrus Alexander, Martin Garcia, 119; Hard Aces, Joe Talamo, 121; Hoppertunity, Flavien Prat, 124; Blingo, Alex Solis, 119; Imperative, Mike Smith, 119 and El Kabeir, Gary Stevens, 119. First post time on Saturday is at 12:30 p.m. Admission gates open at 10:30 a.m.
Ashley Quigley, in her first organized game since playing for Arcata High in the 2016-17 season, led all scorers with 26 points as College of the Redwoods women’s basketball defended home-court on opening night, downing visiting Simpson University 77-71 Tuesday evening.“Everything felt very good tonight,” Redwoods head coach Jain Tuey, now in her third season at the helm, said. “We were feeling very comfortable on the court. We talked before the game about bringing out the excitement and …
Tsabeng Nthite – Brand South Africa has partnered with Umalusi to contribute to the improvement of assessment methods and processes in the field of education. Umalusi is currently host to the 12th Southern Africa Association for Educational Assessment (SAAEA) Conference , in the city of Tshwane.Hosted under the theme “Local context in global context: encouraging diversity in assessment” – the conference aims to engage regional academic stakeholders from the African continent on the following focus areas: sustainable assessment practices and standards; innovative assessment opportunities and challenges; diversifying assessment; assessment and the development of critical thinking; as well as the impact of stake holding on effective assessment. Brand South Africa’s GM for Stakeholder Relations – Mpumi Mabuza said: “Assessment is an integral part of instruction in the field of education, as it determines whether or not the goals of education are being met. Assessment affects decisions about grades, placement, advancement, instructional needs, curriculum, and, in some cases, funding. “The ultimate goal, through a series of presentations and panel discussions at the SAAEA Conference is to collaborate on a way forward to solving challenges and identifying opportunities that will further encourage practices and standards in educational assessment.”The partnership is also aligned to South Africa’s National Development Plan which aims to ensure that by 2030 – all South Africans will be enriched by universal early childhood education, high-quality schooling, further education and training that allows them to fulfill their potential, and expanding higher education that accelerates the shift to a knowledge economy.
The results of a 2006 survey by AIIM Europe of companies in the UK found that 29% of companies have an Enterprise Content Management (ECM) system in place. That number is nearly twice the number of companies using ECM in the 2005 survey.46% surveyed said their company plans to spend more or much more on ECM in 2007. While only 13% of the respondents expected to spend less.Those numbers are now similar to that of the US. Yet in the UK, only 16% rate their companies as very good or excellent in being able to manage, control and use electronic information. The survey notes a strong correlation between a company’s business success with their ability to manage electronic data. Those in the survey who rate their company high in data management are nearly twice as likely to score their company as being more profitable than their industry average.The most challenging aspect of bringing in a content management system is to be able to up-front justify the investment and to gain management buy-in. 27% found integrating change management capabilities into their systems to be the most challenging.
Ireland and Afghanistan are all set to play three Twenty20 Internationals, five One-Day Internationals and a one-off Test in February-March next year in Dehradun, India, the ICC announced on Friday.It will be Ireland’s first overseas Test match, and the second Test match for the two newest teams at the highest level.Earlier in 2018, Ireland started out at home against Pakistan, losing by five wickets, while Afghanistan took on India in Bengaluru and went down by an innings and 262 runs, according to the International Cricket Council’s website.The matches will be played at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium.”The Afghanistan series is a major step forward for Irish cricket as the tour is our first major tour as a Full Member.”It will no doubt be a test for the entire squad – taking on Afghanistan in subcontinent conditions will require a level of adjustment by both our batting and bowling units,” Ireland batsman Andrew Balbirnie said after the itinerary was finalised.”As we saw here at home in the summer, Afghanistan is a quality side with some world class players, and will be a great challenge in their home’ conditions,” he added.(With IANS inputs)
“The JCTI is the result of a major collaborative effort with both local and international educational institutions and businesses,” Mr. Bartlett noted. Story Highlights Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says organisations that value and invest in their employees will reap the rewards of a truly engaged workforce. “Human capital and economic growth tend to go hand in hand. Therefore, if we hope to unlock the unlimited potential of Jamaica’s tourism sector, the development of our human capital holds the key,” the Minister argued. Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says organisations that value and invest in their employees will reap the rewards of a truly engaged workforce.The Minister, who was speaking at the annual Melia Braco Village Staff Awards on February 19 at Melia Braco, Trelawny, said the flipside, however, is that entities that treat their workers as just another commodity will find it increasingly difficult to sustain a competitive advantage.“Human capital and economic growth tend to go hand in hand. Therefore, if we hope to unlock the unlimited potential of Jamaica’s tourism sector, the development of our human capital holds the key,” the Minister argued.Mr. Bartlett said it is specifically for this reason that the Ministry, in 2017, launched the Jamaica Centre for Tourism Innovation (JCTI), which is “providing a path to professionalism” for workers in the tourism industry.“The JCTI is the result of a major collaborative effort with both local and international educational institutions and businesses,” Mr. Bartlett noted.“They include the Tourism Product Development Company (TPDCo), an agency of the Ministry of Tourism; the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information; the Ministry of Labour and Social Security; the HEART Trust/NTA and the George Washington University, which have all had a critical role to play in the JCTI’s development,” he added.The Minister said the institution offers access to certification programmes that support existing hospitality programmes at several tertiary institutions.“Through the JCTI, individuals will have access to certification in areas such as hospitality management, tourism management, culinary arts, spa management and many others,” he noted.Mr. Bartlett said that the JCTI pilot project, which began in December 2017, is nearing completion, adding that 150 candidates were targeted to include employed persons seeking accreditation as Certified Hospitality Supervisors, recent college graduates seeking accreditation as Certified Hospitality Supervisors and academic staff seeking credentials to deliver Certified Hospitality Information Analytics training.“It also includes students seeking accreditation in Certified Hospitality Information Analytics, and American Culinary Federation (ACF) Executive Chefs seeking accreditation as ACF Certified Evaluators,” the Minister added.Mr. Bartlett further noted that the candidates who sought Certified Hospitality Information Analytics completed their studies and examinations in November 2017, while the majority of the first cohort of candidates is now preparing for examinations, scheduled to take place in early March 2018.The Minister said that while training is only one aspect of personal and professional development, “our tourism workers, like all workers, ought to be rewarded for their dedication and should feel as if they are truly benefiting from the sector,” he said.“I am, therefore, pleased to announce that arrangements for introduction of the Tourism Workers’ Pension Scheme are well under way. We will be issuing a second set of drafting instructions to the Chief Parliamentary Counsel after comments are received from the Attorney General’s Chambers,” Mr. Bartlett said.