Reyes Aragon has been wanted for drug trafficking since 2010, when Nicaraguan police issued an arrest warrant for him. The OIJ had been investigating the activities of Reyes Aragon and Los Tarzanes since 2012, according to OIJ Director Francisco Segura Montero. Los Tarzanes, which is allegedly is run by Reyes Aragon and his six brothers, is suspected of smuggling cocaine from Colombia and marijuana from Jamaica into Costa Rica. Authorities believe Los Tarzanes operatives store the drugs in Limon for later shipment by boat or truck to Honduras and Mexico, or for sale in Costa Rica’s domestic illicit drug market. Los Tarzanes In addition to the arrests of the suspected members of Los Tarzanes, Costa Rica police and security forces have scored a number of successes against transnational criminal organizations engaged in the drug trade. For example, on June 10 and 11, 2014, the Costa Rica Coast Guard seized more than 4 tons of cocaine found on Costa Rican fishing boats off the Pacific Coast. The seizure was reportedly the largest in the country’s history. Costa Rican drug seizures have more than doubled since 2011. Costa Rica security forces have dismantled more than a dozen international drug trafficking operations since 2006, according to published reports. The capture of Reyes Aragon and the increase in drug seizures may indicate that Costa Rican security forces are improving their effectiveness in fighting drug trafficking, said Armando Rodríguez Luna, a security analyst at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). Costa Rican security forces have improved their effectiveness in fighting Los Tarzanes and other organized crime groups “because they have improved their ability to protect the country’s border in the fight against drug trafficking, and they have continued to collaborate and exchange information with other governments in joint border operations,” according to Rodríguez Luna. Julieta Pelcastre contributed to this article. Costa Rican authorities have arrested the alleged leader of a Nicaraguan drug trafficking group known as Los Tarzanes. Agents of Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Body (OIJ) arrested Agustin Reyes Aragon, 40, on June 12. They arrested Reyes Aragon during a series of raids in the Caribbean coastal province of Limon. Security forces also detained three other suspects: a Nicaraguan man, a Honduran man, and a female whose nationality was not immediately determined. OIJ agents confiscated two AK-47 assault rifles, a vehicle and currency in the amount of $14,000 (USD) and one million colones during the raids. Wanted in Nicaragua Los Tarzanes was founded in the mid-1990s as part of a drug trafficking network operated by the now defunct Norte del Valle Cartel in Colombia, Nicaraguan police have said. Operating primarily as transporters, Los Tarzanes operatives use go-fast boats and vehicles to move shipments of Colombian cocaine and precursor chemicals for methamphetamine production north for eventual sale to Mexican transnational criminal organizations such as the Gulf Cartel (CDG). Los Tarzanes was originally based along Nicaragua’s southern border. In recent years, as Nicaraguan security forces have increased patrols in that region, the drug trafficking group has increased its operations on the Costa Rican border. Costa Rican security successes By Dialogo July 02, 2014
Sharing is caring! Tweet Share Share Photo credit: worldatlas.comPROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands — Last week, the Turks and Caicos Islands government served civil proceedings on the Progressive National Party (PNP) seeking the recovery of the land upon which the PNP headquarters building is constructed, together with damages, including an order to pull down and destroy the structure. The claim arises from the PNP’s alleged trespass following its construction of its headquarters on Airport Road, Providenciales, on Crown land to which, the government claims, it had, and has no title. According to a government press release on Tuesday, after construction of its headquarters in 2005/6, the PNP subsequently appointed a management agent, Provident Management Services Ltd, to manage the property. During the last elected administration prior to the imposition of direct rule by Britain, Provident is said to have sub-leased six offices in the headquarters to PNP MPs for a total of $465,083.61 over approximately three years, which was paid by the government. The government seeks the return of that sum, to which Provident was not entitled together with other damages.The government said it is seeking a number of remedies for the alleged trespass:• damages for the PNP’s trespass on the land, based on a reasonable annual rent until possession of the land is returned to the Crown;• the repayment of the $465,083.61;• an order that the headquarters are pulled down and destroyed;• damages for returning the land to its former state; and• interest and costsAttorney General Huw Shepheard commented: “When the current administration first became aware last year that the PNP’s headquarters had been built on Crown land to which the PNP had no title, my Chambers wrote to the PNP setting out the claim that the government had. It had been our hope that matters could be settled amicably without the need for proceedings. Unfortunately, discussions with the PNP have not been successful. In those circumstances, the government has been left with no choice but to bring these proceedings for trespass and damages to recover this plot of Crown land and what is properly owed to the government”. Carlos Simons QC, attorney for the PNP, said in response that he does not consider that the government has as yet “served civil proceedings on the Progressive National Party” as the press statement asserts. “I believe that their method of service does not meet the requirements of TCI procedural law and until the mistake is corrected, the party has no formal notice of the proceedings and does not have to respond. That issue has been brought to the attention of the Attorney General’s Chambers, but might in the end require the attention of the Court,” he said.Simons went on to say that the trespass claim is entirely misconceived. “The party has been in open possession of the Airport Road property since at least 2005 with the full knowledge of the leaders of every government department concerned with dealings in Crown land and with their acquiescence, if not consent,” he explained.Simons also rejected the assertion that Provident Management Services Ltd sub-leased six offices in the headquarters building to PNP MPs, but instead leased the offices to the government, with those leases being signed off on behalf of the government by the head of department having control of the relevant vote. Furthermore, he said, those leases were identical to leases entered into by the government in Grand Turk, South Caicos and North and Middle Caicos for the constituency offices of Members of Parliament, including constituency offices for PDM [Peoples Democratic Movement] Members of Parliament. “That assertion is therefore false,” Simons reiterated.He also said that the PNP has never disputed the government’s right to a reasonable annual rent, nor payment of the market value of the land. “That is therefore a non-issue,” he said.As regards the claim for damages for trespass, Simons asserted that any reasonable person would agree that the land has been developed and improved rather than injured. “I would also be surprised if anyone, regardless of their political allegiance would agree that pulling down and destroying a perfectly good building makes any kind of sense,” he said.Simons said he had been instructed to invite the attorney general and the governor to return to the negotiation table and make a good faith attempt to reach a reasonable settlement of these issues.In any case, he said, the PNP is committed to rigorously defending and defeating these spurious claims brought by the interim government, purportedly on behalf of the people.By Caribbean News Now contributor Share 29 Views no discussions NewsRegional Turks and Caicos government threatens to demolish political party headquarters by: – March 21, 2012
OVER three dozen records were broken when the Guyana Amateur Powerlifting Federation (GAPLF) held its Senior National Powerlifting Championships on Sunday at the Saint Stanislaus College in the capital city. Although a large number of participants excelled at the championships, Romario Gonsalves and Tineisha Toney were adjudged best lifters.The national competitor, Toney, who competed in the 63kg weight class, was able to accumulate 340.5 total points, which was converted to 592.24 International Powerlifting points. In total, the 19-year-old squatted 125.0kg, bench pressed 65.5kg and deadlifted 150.0kg. Toney’s bench press (144.403 lbs.) was one of the national records broken.The 21-year-old Gonsalves tallied 602.5 points (741.91 IPF points) after he squatted 222.5kg, bench pressed 120.0kg (a new record) and deadlifted 260.0kg to win the Junior Raw and Open Raw categories of his weight division.Although a whopping 37 records were broken, a 700 lbs. (317.5kg) deadlift mark by former Caribbean Championships gold medal winner, Vijai Rahim, was one of the standout performances. The talented 27-year-old finished first in the 74kg Men’s Open EQ after squatting 287kg and bench pressing 182.5 kg for a total points of 787.5kg. Rahim’s bench press and total points were also national records.There were numerous other standouts at the championships, and several of the lifters were able to register a clean sweep of performances. Leading the charge in the female division was 45-year-old Jacquelyn Toney, who won the 84kg Women’s Open Raw division with records in her squat (140.0kg), bench press (62.5kg), deadlift (147.5kg) and her overall total of (350.0kg). Toney also won the Open Raw division in the same weight class.There were two other women’s divisions. The 72kg Women’s Open Raw, which was won by Chitra John and the 84+kg Women’s Open Raw, which was won by Esther Maycock.The men had the bulk of the record-breaking performances and several of the established names were able to excel. Jermy Indarjit, who won the 66kg class of the Men’s Sb-Jr Raw division, powered his way to records in the squat (172.5kg), the bench press (85.0), the deadlift 227.5kg and the overall total of 485.0kg.Forty-year-old Nigel Phillips, who claimed two first place trophies (a win in the 93kg Men’s Open EQ and the 93kg Men’s Master 1 EQ) led the record count with six. He registered a record in the Men’s Master 1 EQ with a squat of 287.5kg, a bench press of 190kg in the same division, a deadlift of 247.5kg and a total of 725.0kg. In the Men’s Open, his 190kg bench press was also a record, so too was his total of 725kg.Martin Webster, 52, also registered multiple records. His five new marks were attained in the 93kg weight class. In the Men’s Master 2 EQ, he squatted 202.5kg, while he bench pressed 130kg, deadlifted 202.5kg and totalled 535.0kg. The Buddy’s Gym representative also registered a new record in the Men’s Open EQ for his 535.0kg total.Ramzam Mohamed ended the day with four new records with a clean sweep of the 120kg Men’s Junior EQ division. He squatted 295kg, bench pressed 165kg, deadlifted 255kg and finished with a total of 715.0kg.Dominic Tyrrell finished with three records in the 74kg Men’s Junior Raw. The 19-year-old got a record in the squat (207.5kg), the deadlift (272.5kg) and the total in the division (607.5kg).Meanwhile, Franklyn Brisport-Luke (66kg Men’s Open EQ and Men’s Masters 2 EQ) and Farouk Abdool (120kg Men’s Open EQ and Men’s Master 1 EQ) both registered two wins each at the championships.
Courtesy of SU AthleticsChris Fox turned Syracuse from afterthought to champion as the head of the cross country program, and even Jim Boeheim knows how good of a coach he is. “Boeheim would always say to me,” former director of athletics Daryl Gross said. “‘Chris Fox is the best coach in the department.’”When athletes look to transfer, schools have all the powerIllustration by Lucy Naland | Presentation DirectorWhen college athletes want to transfer to another school, their own college can hold them back, “blocking” their transfer to specific schools. This happened to SU softball player Baylee Douglas when she tried to transfer from her previous college, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville.John Bonamego had his dream job, not even cancer could slow him down Facebook Twitter Google+ Part of The Daily Orange’s coverage of Syracuse Athletics — and more — this fall is the numerous features written by our staff. As the fall semester comes to a close, we compiled a list of our 10 best-written stories from the past five months. In this list are stories about the photo of a cheerleader that become the symbol of the Pan Am 103 bombing, the tale of former football head coach Scott Shafer’s return to the Carrier Dome and how Gerry McNamara is still beloved in his hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania.Read the whole list below.THE WHOLE PICTURE: How a cheerleader became the face of Syracuse University on the night of the Pan Am Flight 103 attack.Courtesy of Lawrence MasonIn the hours after Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie, Scotland, on Dec. 21, 1988, Syracuse played a home basketball game. At the game, cheerleader Catherine Crossland, now Catherine Hauschild, turned and embraced fellow cheerleader Amy Jo Eveleigh as then-SU professor Lawrence Mason snapped the above photo which would soon become a vivid memory of the tragedy.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textRUNNING IN PLACE: Eric Dungey has always said he will run less. Then he runs anyway.Jessica Sheldon | Staff PhotographerIn high school, Eric Dungey said he’d run less. Early in his college career, Eric Dungey said he’d run less. Before his junior campaign, Dungey said he’d run less. He didn’t.BEHIND THE NUMBER: The death Gabrielle Cooper’s father fueled her passion for basketball, which led her to become a star at Syracuse.Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff PhotographerGabrielle Cooper’s father died in 2011, spurring her passion for basketball and setting her mind on wearing No. 11 to honor her late father. As the only returning starter for a Syracuse team two-years removed from a national championship run, Cooper will play a leading role for the Orange.Chris Fox molded Syracuse cross country from one of the worst college programs into a national powerhouse Courtesy of Paulette BonamegoJohn Bonamego had always wanted to be Central Michigan’s head football coach, but when he finally got the job he got life changing news: He had cancer. Never missing a practice or meeting, Bonamego beat cancer and was on the sideline as scheduled for the Chippewas and has been there ever since.Isis Young embraces her name’s roots over negative associationsJosh Shub-Seltzer | Staff PhotographerIsis Young is named after an Egyptian goddess, but recently, her first name has become associated with terrorism. Still, Young refuses to let the negative connotations of her name drag her down, instead choosing to embrace the roots of her name.Syracuse pulls off monumental upset of No. 2 Clemson, 27-24Todd Michalek | Staff PhotographerOn Oct. 13, a Friday night, then-No. 2 Clemson came to the Carrier Dome for a matchup with Syracuse. What ensued was one of the biggest wins in Syracuse’s history. The game stayed tight, but a few key plays — a late Cole Murphy field goal, a botched fake punt by the Tigers, a critical chain-moving run by Eric Dungey — swayed the game in SU’s favor.15 years after arriving at Syracuse, Gerry McNamara still beloved in hometownTodd Michalek | Staff PhotographerThere is little in Gerry McNamara’s childhood home to indicate he is one of Scranton, Pennsylvania’s, biggest stars. Elsewhere around town, like at Stirna’s Restaurant, McNamara is still idolized as a hometown hero.Former Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer to return to Carrier Dome as MTSU’s defensive coordinatorDaily Orange File PhotoSyracuse fired Scott Shafer as head football coach in late 2015 after SU knocked off Boston College in Shafer’s final game at SU. Two years later, Shafer returned to the Carrier Dome as Middle Tennessee State’s defensive coordinator helping guide MTSU to an upset of the Orange. Comments Published on December 13, 2017 at 10:36 pm
A 73-year-old farmer will go on trial in Donegal Town today charged with operating a ‘shebeen’ in a shed at his home called the ‘Bog Hotel’.The trial date for the case against Patsy Brogan – fixed last month – set aside time today for the trial at Donegal District Court.At a previous hearing defence solicitor Paudge Dorrian said the pensioner will be “contesting” a charge that he sold beer and spirits at the premises outside Inver, Co. Donegal, on September 25 last year. The summons was brought against Mr Brogan – pictured here with his 29-year-old Polish girlfriend – on behalf of the Director of Public Prosecutions by Inspector Denis Joyce.Brogan was cleared by a court last year of running an illegal bar in his converted shed when Donegal County Council sued him for a breach of planning laws.He told that court that he doesn’t charge for drink and the judge in that case found the converted shed was not in breach of planning laws and was not unlike private bars in homes across the country where families shared drinks with friends.PATSY BROGAN ‘SHEBEEN’ TRIAL TO GO AHEAD TODAY was last modified: October 5th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bog HotelCo DonegalDonegal District CourtinverPatsy Brogan