Cesc Fabregas was on the bench against West Ham but the midfielder is still really popular among Chelsea fans 1 There is a rumour doing the rounds suggesting Chelsea manager Antonio Conte will sell Cesc Fabregas.The midfielder did not feature in the club’s 2-1 win against West Ham and both Juventus and Real Madrid are said to be circling Stamford Bridge.However, Conte said the 29-year-old midfielder has a future in south west London, explaining he was happy with his attitude, but not every player can start when he has to pick his line up, such is the nature of the job.“That can happen that Fabregas is not in the starting XI, but it can happen for all the players,” he said. “It’s important to see always the right attitude. Because we must fight this season and it’s important to stay together in every situation.”But the player is still popular with some fans, as you can see from the tweets below.Would it bother you if Cesc Fabregas left Chelsea? Let us know below.
Migrating birds are able to get back on course, even when released 1000 km east of their normal migration path. This shows that long-distance migrating birds are capable of true bicoordinate navigation: the ability to make course corrections both in latitude and longitude. The results of experiments, published in Current Biology,1 left the researchers baffled: how do they do it? Measuring latitude is easy: just judge the height of the sun in the sky. Longitude (east-west orientation), however, is much more challenging because it requires accurate timekeeping. The difficulties sailors throughout history had in determining longitude has been described in Dava Sobel’s historical novel Longitude. Somehow, a team of Russian and German scientists found, birds know the trick. A flock of migrating Eurasian reed warblers was flown 1000 km to the east of their usual take-off point. They found their way to their normal nesting ground by shifting their bearing northwest instead of the usual northeast. “This finding is surprising and presents a new intellectual challenge to bird migration researchers, namely, which cues enable birds to determine their east-west position,” they said. However it is accomplished, the skill must be learned, because a previous study by Princeton scientists showed that juvenile birds did not correct for longitude when flown off course (see 11/05/2007). Still, it is unclear how the birds in this new study pulled it off. Do they read the stars? Do they gauge the earth’s magnetic field? Did they measure their jet lag? “To show what cues the birds use to determine their east-west location,” they said, “will be a big challenge for researchers in this field in the years to come.”1. Chernetsov, Kishkinev and Mouritzen, “A Long-Distance Avian Migrant Compensates for Longitudinal Displacement during Spring Migration,” Current Biology, Volume 18, Issue 3, 12 February 2008, Pages 188-190.Many wonderful and intriguing science projects remain to be performed. These scientists did not mention evolution and had no need of it. They saw an amazing phenomenon in present-day, observable nature and sought to understand the design behind it.(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
27 September 2010Katutura township, in the heart of Namibia’s capital of Windhoek, came alive on Saturday as locals gathered to witness the opening of the Katutura Football for Hope Centre – the third of 20 such centres being built across Africa as a legacy of the 2010 Fifa World Cup™.This is the second centre to be opened outside South Africa. The inaugural centre was opened in Khayelitsha township on the outskirts of Cape Town last year as part of the 20 Centres for 2010 campaign initiated ahead of the World Cup, followed by a second centre in Mathare in Nairobi earlier this month.The programme aims to build 20 centres around Africa to help address some of the challenges faced by the continent, including education and public health.Five more centres are due be completed over the next four to five months in Mali, Rwanda, Ghana, Lesotho, and Mokopane in South Africa.The Katutura Football for Hope Centre boasts an artificial football turf, a computer lab and a public health services area.Speaking at Saturday’s opening, Fifa secretary-general Jerome Valcke said the centre was part of Fifa’s commitment not only to leave a post-World Cup legacy for the continent, but help also to help Africa develop in different spheres.“We have to make sure that Africa does not only provide a pool of [football] talent,” Valcke said.Namibian Prime Minister Nahas Angula said he was happy that Namibia had also benefited from the hosting of the 2010 Fifa World Cup in neighbouring South Africa.He appealed to the Special Olympics Namibia, the organisation hosting the centre, and the Namibian Football Association to engage other partners to ensure the sustainability of the centre. “We don’t want to see this centre as a white elephant in the future,” he said.Jan Coetzee, project manager at Streetfootballworld, a partner in the 20 Centres for 2010 campaign, said: “September has been a very exciting month for us. Two weeks ago, we were in one of the most disadvantaged areas in Nairobi, and today we are thrilled to be part of the opening of this centre here in Namibia.“This should be a platform for Special Olympics Namibia to perform their work. We look forward in working with them in the future.”Source: Fifa.com
LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READ ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Baser Amer was the lone local to toss in a double-digit score in the loss that dropped the Bolts to 1-2. Ginebra takes on NorthPort on Saturday next, while Meralco plays all-Filipino semifinalist Rain or Shine this coming Friday.The scores:Ginebra 110 – Brownlee 27, Aguilar 19, Dela Cruz 16, Mercado 14, Thompson 11, Slaughter 8, Mariano 8, Tenorio 4, Ferrer 3, Cruz 0, Caperal 0.Meralco 95 – Lawal 38, Amer 10, Newsome 8, Hodge 7, Salva 6, Pinto 6, Canaleta 6, De Ocampo 5, Hugnatan 4, Jackson 3, Tolomia 2, Quinto 0, Caram 0.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philipines—Defending champion Barangay Ginebra used a blistering second half to crawl back from 15 down and beat Meralco, 110-95, in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup Sunday night at Araneta Coliseum.Gin Kings’ beloved import Justin Brownlee scored 27 points and had 12 rebounds and eight assists in the crowd darling’s entry into the win column following a loss to Blackwater Elite last week. ADVERTISEMENT Quarterscores: 16-28, 43-54, 82-71, 110-95.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport “We played about badly as we could in that first half. It was so discouraging and they talked about it in halftime and they came out played with so much fight in the second half,” said Ginebra coach Tim Cone said, who had deputy Richard del Rosario take over in that turnaround.“Wasn’t feeling well. Watching that first half made me sick,” he added in jest. “Whatever it takes to win. We find ways to win … I couldn’t be more prouder of this group in turning that game around.” FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsFour more locals scored 11 or more, with Japeth Aguilar leading the charge. He wound up finishing with 19 points, six rebounds, and four assists.Import Gani Lawal did the heavy lifting for the Bolts, playing with sustained brilliance all through out the night. He finished with 38 points and 20 rebounds. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Suspended Ronald Tubid has no qualms over PBA decision View comments
Netflix’s Lost in Space is expected to start filming season 2 in Vancouver on September 4th. And wrap early next year.More Danger, Will Robinson. — The Robot. Login/Register With: Advertisement Filming Dates: September 4th to January 30th, 2019.The remake of the classic 1960s series films in metro Vancouver — with Toby Stephens as Dr. John Robinson, Molly Parker as his wife Dr. Maureen Robinson,Mina Sundwall as their daughter Penny Robinson, Taylor Russell as their daughter Judy Robinson, Maxwell Jenkins as their son Will Robinson and Ignacio Serricchio as smuggler Don West. And in a gender twist, Parker Posey is Dr. Smith. Advertisement Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Twitter
Kolkata: Ten policemen, including an additional superintendent of police (ASP), were injured when BJP supporters beat them up at Chowringhee in Kharagpur on Monday afternoon.The injured policemen were taken to hospital where they were treated. The police have started an inquiry.Some trucks were carrying BJP supporters to attend Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s meeting at Midnapore College. The supporters asked the police to clear the traffic jam as they were getting late.When police failed to clear the jam, the BJP supporters got down from the truck and beat up the policeman on duty. They also beat up three police officers who came to his rescue. Later, a large contingent of policemen appeared on the scene and brought the situation under control.Calling the incident “unfortunate”, state BJP president Dilip Ghosh said action would be taken against the party workers involved in the matter.
If you love apples, so also love the humble banana. Eating a banana daily is likely to boost eye health and prevent vision-related diseases, a study has found.Researchers have found that bananas have carotenoid – a compound that turns fruits and vegetables red, orange or yellow and are converted into vitamin A, important precursors for eye health — in the liver.According to previous research, foods containing high levels of carotenoids also protect against chronic diseases, including certain cancers, cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The study showed that banana rich in provitamin A carotenoids may offer a potential food source for alleviating vitamin A deficiency — important for sight.To combat vitamin A deficiency, researchers have been investigating methods to boost carotenoids in bananas. Cara L Mortimer and other researchers from Queensland University of Technology in Australia studied two banana varieties to find out why they make very different amounts of carotenoids. They found that the pale yellow, low-carotenoid cavendish variety produces more of an enzyme that breaks down carotenoids. In addition, another variety stashes its carotenoids in microscopic sacs during ripening, shifting the chemical equilibrium in the fruit so it can make even higher levels of these substances. The findings, published in ACS’ Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, can someday help in the development of banana varieties with enhanced health benefits.Bananas are ideal food for young children and families for many regions of the world, because of their sweetness, texture, portion size, familiarity, availability, convenience, versatility and cost.
Kolkata: Expressing her displeasure over violence at Kankinara and Bhatpara in North 24-Parganas where two persons were killed, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday instructed the police top brass to restore normalcy in the areas within 72 hours. Tanmay Ray Chaudhuri, Commissioner of Police in Barrackpore Police Commissionerate was removed on Thursday evening with Manoj Kumar Verma replacing him. Verma was posted as IGP, Darjeeling.A senior official in the state Secretariat, on condition of anonymity, said that Banerjee has instructed the police to arrest all those involved in the violence irrespective of their party affiliations. “There are a number of miscreants in the area who are moving scot-free even though their names figure in the wanted list of the police. The Chief Minister raised questions regarding the police’s role in bringing them to book,” the official said. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataThe Chief Minister has also questioned the involvement of outsiders in the incident and asked why the police have been unable to prevent their entry. She had instructed police to conduct naka checking both on land and waterways as well. She expressed her displeasure over the police’s failure in the recovery of arms and ammunition as per intelligence inputs. In recent times, there has been more than one occasion when bombs have been hurled and gunshots fired resulting in unprecedented violence in these areas. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateBanerjee chaired a meeting to take stock of the situation and it was under her instruction that DG Virendra went to Bhatpara late on Thursday afternoon. The DG, who was supposed to inaugurate a new police station in Bhatpara in the morning, was compelled to return earlier in the day from the area which was at a stone’s throw distance from the building. Two persons were killed in Bhatpara after a major clash took place between two unidentified groups on Thursday morning. Six police personnel have also been reportedly injured in the incident while the cops had to fire tear gas shells and few rounds of bullet in the air. Authorities have imposed Section 144 in Bhatpara and Jagatdal areas of the North 24-Parganas district following the clashes. Route march has also been carried out in the area. According to sources, hours before the inauguration of the new Bhatpara police station, one Ram Babu Shaw was shot dead within a few hundred metres of the building which triggered massive violence in the area with crude bombs being hurled by miscreants. During the clash, another youth, identified as Dharambir Shaw, and several others were also injured. Later, Dharambir was declared brought dead at the hospital.
Kolkata: Primary autopsy reports of Class X student, who was found dead inside her school washroom on Friday, confirmed suicide.Police said the primary report mentioned hypoxia or lack of oxygen supply to the brain and body as the cause of death of the student of GD Birla Centre for Education in south Kolkata. The cut mark on her wrist was a second injury, which according to doctors was “self-implicating”. Doctors suspected that the girl died because of the polythene packet that she had tied up with strings, used to bind practical notebooks, to cover her head. The autopsy was done at SSKM hospital on Saturday. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: Mamata Police also confirmed that the girl had suicidal tendency. Even earlier, she had attempted to take the extreme step at home. “So far, investigation reveals that it was a case of suicide. While examining her mother, we found out that she had made similar attempts at home earlier,” said an investigating official. Bright, meritorious and trained in self-defence, she was always among the top five rank holders. Police said she had attended five periods before her death and behaved normally. Before leaving her classroom, she had told her friends that she would go to the sick room. However, CCTV footage showed that she instead went to the washroom with a few things in her hand. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in state “She was missing for 40 minutes and was later found unconscious inside the washroom. Prima facie it appears to be a case of suicide, which very well-planned. She had spoken to her father before school and had asked him to get biryani from Hyderabad, when he returned from there,” said an investigating official. Her three-page suicide note had no overwriting and was flawless, said police. She also described how she was dying and that no one should be held responsible for her death. “She hasn’t held anyone responsible for her death in her suicide note. But her writing shows how upset she was and had a lot of hidden pain. She hasn’t addressed anyone in specific in her suicide note. She also thanked her parents for doing their best in her life. But has mentioned about some strange dark side of her life, which isn’t clear,” said police. Police suspected she might have consumed something before wrapping her head with a polythine, so that no one could hear her screams. However, that will be cleared in the detailed autopsy report. Police also suspected that she had learnt the procedure by watching web series or movies. “She was academically brilliant and would complete her syllabus much in advance. Her mother said she had wanted an admission in the Indian Statistical Institute in future and would often talk about it,” said police. Police are now examining her laptops and mobile phones. Chairperson of West Bengal Commission for Protection of Child Rights, Ananya Chakraborti, met the school authorities Saturday. “The school authorities are very shocked since they never found anything abnormal in her. But after the incident when they spoke to her mother, she apparently revealed that the girl had attempted suicide even before. Her parents didn’t inform the school authorities about it, otherwise they would have paid more attention and such an incident could have been averted,” Chakraborti said.Several guardians believed that lack of CCTV cameras inside washrooms make it easy for students to do anything secretly. An attendant outside the washroom could have avoided this incident in particular, they added. “This is an extremely unfortunate incident. It should be probed from all possible angle, be it any loophole on part of the school authorities, the education system or domestic environment,” said Suranjan Das, Vice Chancellor of Jadavpur University. (With inputs from Indian Express)
Kids fly free with TravelBrands Cruises’ latest promotion Share << Previous PostNext Post >> Friday, April 12, 2019 MISSISSAUGA — TravelBrands Cruises is making family travel much more affordable with a new kids fly free promotion.The limited-time offer allows children 12 and under to fly free when booking a cruise vacation with TravelBrands Cruises, by Encore Cruises.Applicable on new individual bookings made between April 10-20, 2019, the offer is valid on any six-night (or longer) sailing in a balcony stateroom or above, for departures between April and August 2019. There is a maximum of two children aged 12 or younger when sharing a stateroom with two adults.Free air will be in the form of an air credit.“With so many different destinations and onboard activities, a cruise is the ultimate choice when booking a family vacation,” said Nathalie Tanious, senior vice president, commercial, TravelBrands. “We wanted Canadian families to enjoy summer break and decided that this offer for kids to fly free would be the best way to make a splash.”Cruise line partners include: Azamara Club Cruises; Carnival Cruise Line; Celebrity Cruises; Costa Cruises; Disney Cruise Line; Holland America Line; MSC Cruises; Norwegian Cruise Line; Princess Cruises; and Royal Caribbean International.More news: Venice to ban cruise ships from city centre starting next monthTravel agents can visit travelbrandsaccess.com to make qualifying cruise bookings for their clients.