Moenchengladbach’s French forward Marcus Thuram took a knee after scoringBerlin, Germany | AFP | French star Marcus Thuram and England international Jadon Sancho joined the protests over racism and police brutality in the United States on Sunday after scoring in the Bundesliga.Thuram took a knee after scoring for Borussia Moenchengladbach in the game against Union Berlin.Sancho marked his goal for Borussia Dortmund against Paderborn by lifting his jersey to reveal a T-shirt bearing the words “Justice for George Floyd”.On Saturday, Schalke’s US midfielder Weston McKennie wore an armband against Werder Bremen bearing the words “Justice for George”.Thuram’s gesture echoed past protests by National Football League players in the US in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.The issue has surged back into the headlines following the death of unarmed black man George Floyd during a police arrest in Minneapolis.Sancho revealed his protest after scoring in the 57th minute – and was promptly yellow-carded for his troubles.Thuram, a 22-year-old French striker, continued his recent hot form with two goals as Borussia Moenchengladbach beat visiting Union Berlin 4-1.Because of social distancing rules, goal celebrations were muted but after Thuram headed his team’s second goal just before half-time he took the opportunity to make a solitary statement, kneeling and bowing his head.At half-time, his club tweeted a photo with the caption: “No explanation needed.”After the game, Gladbach coach Marco Rose said Thuram had his backing.“Marcus has made the point. He has set an example against racism that we all support,” Rose said.Thuram, whose father, French World Cup winner Lilian runs the Education against Racism foundation in Paris, was the latest show of solidarity with the current protests sweeping the United States.On Saturday, McKennie said it had been crucial to make a stand. “To be able to use my platform to bring attention to a problem that has been going on too long feels good!!!” he tweeted.Meanwhile, in the United States, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said there “remains an urgent need for action” as violent protests rocked the country.“The protesters’ reactions to these incidents reflect the pain, anger and frustration that so many of us feel,” Goodell said. “As current events dramatically underscore, there remains much more to do as a country and as a league.”Boston Celtics forward Jaylen Brown returned to his native Georgia to lead a peaceful protest march in Atlanta.“I drove 15 hours to get to Georgia, my community,” Brown said. “Being a celebrity, being an NBA player, don’t exclude me from no conversations at all. First and foremost, I’m a black man and I’m a member of this community.”-‘Am I next?’ –NBA star LeBron James was among those who contrasted pictures of police officer Derek Chauvin’s knee on Floyd’s neck with the kneeling protests of former NFL star Colin Kaepernick in 2016.Kaepernick, who was ostracised by the NFL for kneeling during the national anthem in protest against racial injustice, has launched a fund to pay for legal representation for protesters who need it.Serena Williams tweeted a video by Nike, which also sponsors Kaepernick, picking out the line: “Don’t pretend there’s not a problem in America.”Two-time Grand Slam tennis champion Naomi Osaka posted pictures of protests from Minneapolis on her Instagram account.“Just because it isn’t happening to you doesn’t mean it isn’t happening at all,” wrote Osaka, whose mother is Japanese and whose father is Haitian.Rising US tennis star Coco Gauff, a 16-year-old African American, showed on Instagram the faces of black Americans who died in recent years at the hands of authorities or white fellow citizens.“Am I next?” Gauff asked.Share on: WhatsApp
A man accused of trespassing near Mar-a-Lago late last week reportedly told police he would rather go to jail than see his parents.Palm Beach Police arrested 38-year-old Allen Cox for trespassing after issuing a warning on Thursday.According to the arrest report, a Palm Beach Police received a call about a suspicious man on the property around 4:30 a.m. The caller told police the man appeared to be in his 30s or 40s, was wearing a black long sleeve shirt and blue jeans and was hiding between the bushes and privacy wall of the estate.When police arrived, they found a man walking westbound on Southern Boulevard who matched the description, according to the arrest report. Police identified the man as Cox from a previous encounter they had with him on Feb. 7, when they gave him a written warning for trespassing.While speaking with police after being given his Miranda rights, Cox said he had been sleeping between the trees and privacy wall outside of the estate so he would be safe, the report states.He acknowledged being given the trespass warning but added that he preferred jail to seeing his parents.Cox was released from jail on $500 bond.
At the request of Republican House Speaker Jose Oliva, of Miami Lakes, the Florida Legislature on March 11 passed the measure (HB 389) expanding the authority of pharmacists. DeSantis signed the bill into law the same day.Under the law, certain pharmacists will be authorized to enter “collaborative pharmacy practice agreements” with doctors that allow pharmacists to treat and manage patients.Those pharmacists will be authorized to treat participating physicians’ patients for conditions including: arthritis; asthma; chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases; Type 2 diabetes; human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndrome; obesity; or “any other chronic condition adopted in rule.”To enter into the collaborative pharmacy practice agreements, pharmacists must either have doctorates in pharmacy or must have practiced at least five years and have clear and unencumbered licenses. They must also take an additional 20-hour course.The law requires the Board of Pharmacy to develop a set of new rules in order to carry out the changes, including a list of drugs that pharmacists may prescribe. The rules also must include guidelines for advising patients when to seek follow-up care from doctors.There is no word at this time on when the rules could go into effect, and at what level. Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration is seeking to fast-track rules that would potentially expand the health care services that pharmacists are authorized to provide.The move worries some members of a physician-licensing board.Ed Tellechea, general counsel of the Florida Board of Medicine, told members of a committee on Wednesday that “there is pressure” to finalize rules by Aug. 1 to proceed with a new law that would allow certain pharmacists to test patients for flu and streptococcus, as well as to treat patients with chronic illnesses.“The governor’s office would like them (the Board of Pharmacy) to get working on this right away and to get a product as soon as possible, because they want to have the pharmacists available to be able to assist in dealing with the current public-health crisis, and when it flares up again in the fall,” Tellechea said.His remarks came after comments from Board of Medicine Vice Chairman Hector Vila, who believes the Board of Pharmacy should initially draft narrow rules that could be expanded further down the road. Vila also said that he wants the rules to specifically preclude pharmacists from being able to test and treat patients for coronavirus.“This is a pretty big change. And I would move slowly and not try to cut any corners,” said Vila, who is a Tampa-area doctor. “Move very slowly, very deliberately, and then it’s more likely to end up a success.”
To our valued patients, Facebook187Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Olympia Orthopaedic Associates Finally, we want toacknowledge that arranging for care and surgery is a big deal and we don’t takethe need to cancel lightly. We are inuncharted territory right now as a community and country. Oly Ortho would like to err on the side ofcaution. Our patients, staff, andcommunity are of utmost importance to us. Should you have questions, pleaserefer to our website at www.olyortho.com for updates on our COVID-19 response. It is clear that hospitalsare being taxed with critically ill patients, and this is only going toincrease in the near future. They arerunning out of space AND are tight on supplies. In addition, with school closures, many of our staff are unable to comeinto our facilities to work. In order tohelp keep the hospital focused on their priority and to help limit ourconsumption of necessary safety supplies, Oly Ortho will be taking thefollowing steps: William Peterson, M.D.,Managing Partner No doubt you are aware of the current situation in Washington state concerning the COVID-19, or coronavirus, pandemic. As partners in this community, Oly Ortho feels it is vitally important to evaluate our operations in the best interest of our patients, our staff, and our community. Sincerely, All elective cases at the hospitalswill be cancelled, per their notification to us. Our surgeons will remain available to helpwith trauma and emergent cases in the hospital as those needs arise.At our surgery center, we will bemoving up urgent cases to high priority and getting them in as soon aspossible. This means that if you have anelective surgery scheduled in our surgery center, your case may be cancelleduntil we are able to reschedule to a later date.Our clinics will be ramping up ourcapability to do more telemedicine visits so that patients do not need tounnecessarily come into a busy clinic.Patients will be screened prior toentering the clinic to look for symptoms or COVID-19 risk factors, includingtaking of temperature.Our clinics will be triaging appointmentsto limit the number of patients coming into our clinics.Non-urgent new patient may be askedto wait until our resources have increased.Our Rapid Orthopaedic Clinic (ROC)will remain open to alleviate ortho patients needing to go to the Emergency Roomwhile they are already being stretched. If you have an acute injury that needs to be attended to, please call 360-754-7622to be triaged prior to coming in. Wealso may be able to treat some injuries via telemedicine. Ben Shah, CEO