Yemen is divided between the internationally recognized government based in the south and the Iran-aligned Houthi movement headquartered in the north. The Houthis ousted the government from power in the capital, Sanaa, in late 2014.The World Health Organization says it fears COVID-19 could rip through Yemen as the population has some of the lowest levels of immunity to disease compared with other countries. Minimal testing capacity has added to concerns.The five-year war has shattered Yemen’s health system and left its population weakened by hunger and disease. Around 80% of the population, or 24 million people, rely on humanitarian aid and 10 million are at risk of starvation.The Aden government has now reported infections in seven provinces under its control, stretching from the Red Sea in the west to the Omani border in the country’s east. Yemen’s Saudi-backed government reported outbreaks of the new coronavirus in three more southern provinces on Tuesday, taking the total number of cases in areas under its control to 65, with 10 deaths.The Aden-based government’s coronavirus committee said nine new COVID-19 cases had been confirmed, including for the first time in the provinces of Abyan, al-Mahra and Shabwa, where one person died.Four more infections were reported in Aden, the government’s interim seat, taking the total there to 39. Topics : The Houthis have so far reported only two infections, with one death, from the novel coronavirus, both in Sanaa.The Aden government reported Yemen’s first case on April 10 in a southern port town and there have been almost daily announcements of new cases over the past 12 days.The United Nations said on Monday the recent sharp rise in cases indicated the virus had been circulating undetected for weeks, increasing the likelihood of a surge in cases.
EXCLUSIVE: GARDAI in County Donegal have smashed two separate drugs rings after raids today.Officers seized cannabis with an estimated value of €120,000 in the townland of Leitir, Kilmcrennan.More than 150 plants were found in two grow houses after the raid which was led by local detectives investigating organised crime gangs. In a separate investigation officers seized €20,000 worth of cannabis from a house in Milford.The estimated value of the drugs is subject to examination.Donegal Daily understands the seizure in Milford – at a property at Aras Ui Domhnaill – came after a nationwide crackdown on drugs gangs using rural counties to grow cannabis.Sources in Sligo say today’s raids are linked to a seizure there. One man and one woman have been arrested and a quantity of cannabis herb has been seized following a stop and search of a vehicle in Ballymote last night.Gardaí stopped a car on the N4, Castlebaldwin, Ballymote, said a spokesman.When the car was searched Gardaí recovered 4 Kg of cannabis resin with an estimated street value of €80,000 subject to analysis.The two occupants of the car, a man in his mid 30s and a woman in her mid 20s, were arrested at the scene. They are currently detained at Ballymote Garda station under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act 1996 and can be detained for up to seven days.Following today’s raids one man has been detained by Gardai and is being questioned in Letterkenny. BREAKING NEWS: DONEGAL GARDAI SMASH TWO DRUGS GANGS AFTER RAIDS was last modified: September 10th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:drugs seizedGarda successkilmacrennanMilford