Tag: 爱上海会员验证交流区

It was my decision – Alvas Powell

first_imgALVAS POWELL has said sorry for walking out on the Jamaica men’s national senior football team at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.Additionally, he said the decision was his and his alone.”I was just sorry about what happened,” Powell said in an interview with The Gleaner yesterday.”This is a decision I made on my own and it surprised everybody.”The 21-year-old left the Jamaica camp on July 15, the morning after their final Group B encounter against El Salvador at BMO Field in Toronto.Jamaica won the game 1-0 and Powell – who had sat out the previous games against Costa Rica and Canada, came on as a substitute during the second half.The team’s head coach, Winfried Sch‰fer, had said he had no intention to recall Powell to his team initially.Change of heartHowever, on their return from the Gold Cup, Sch‰fer noted a change of heart and said in an interview that “the door is open”.The 65-year-old German, while stating his liking for the youth, said he didn’t want the player’s career to go down and allow him to suffer much public pressure.Sch‰fer had also intimated that Powell had been influenced by his agent, Damani Ralph, who had been to several of the matches and has other national players on his roster.”I don’t think it’s his decision. He’s too young and does not think 100 per cent.”He added: “… His manager must tell him ‘Alvas, you can’t go.’ His manager must give him better advice.”Ralph, however, said he did not advise his player to leave. In fact, the former Jamaica striker said he went out of his way to try and get Powell to change his decision.”I flew up to Canada especially to try and relieve a situation that I knew could have got worse. Sadly, it got worse,” Ralph affirmed.”I did not advise Alvas Powell to leave the camp,” Ralph said. “The player can confirm this.”Powell did.”When I was leaving, Damani never had nothing all to do with it. He even asked me if this is what I wanted to do, more than one time. He told me to think about it, more than once,” the Portland Timbers player said.Powell continued: “What happened has happened already. I cannot change the past. I just feel bad about the decision I made. I’ve gotten the chance to redeem myself, and I will not make a stupid decision like that again. That ‘s why I’ve made up my mind to go back.”I was talking with the coach yesterday and he said he wanted the best for me. At the time when I was leaving, I wished the team nothing but good luck. Me and none of my teammates had any form of beef.”The decision I made, I was ignorant. I was upset. I was upset that I was not playing,” he explained. “I had 18 games outstanding for my club, and to come in the camp and not be playing, I was losing confidence. It was too much in my head. I couldn’t manage it. People are disappointed for me.”Ralph hopes Powell will learn from the experience.He said: “I want to make sure that at the end of the day, we’re able to move forward and this can become a learning experience for a young professional.”last_img read more

Read more…

Are Police Abusing State of Emergency?

first_imgBarely a week following the imposition of the state of emergency by President Ellen Johnson, some  poverty-stricken families, who usually depend on their children to serve as their bread-winners through petty trading, were left to encounter further hardships when some of the them (sellers) were asked to abandon their wares in the name of the state of emergency.One of such parents who reportedly encountered the wrath of law enforcement officers—a mother, Sarah Manitoe, 32, had accompanied two of her children on their selling assignments over the weekend when they reportedly experienced such actions on the part of two unidentified police officers.She told the Daily Observer that the two officers of the Liberian National Police (LNP) on patrol at the intersection of Benson/Lynch streets stopped them from selling their coconut signs in Central Monrovia.She quoted the police as telling her that they (police) were acting on the law regarding the presidential state of emergency being imposed.By that stop order from the LNP, Madam Manitoe claimed her children were forced to lie down before a half-opened grocery shop, while she sat nearby to watch over them.This allegation, the two LNP officers, who suddenly encountered the Daily Observer, vehemently denied, but they did not say what had transpired prior to the children’s being stopped from  selling. The two officers in dramatic fashion disappeared in thin air without uttering a word when they noticed that our reporter had pulled out his camera to capture the scene.Earlier, some commuters were reportedly encountering  similar difficulties while in the process of selling their wares in central Monrovia. Those reports are yet to be independently confirmed.At the same time, the ongoing state of emergency has given rise to the increment of the prices of basic commodities including rice, where a 25kg bagnprevious sold for L$1250, is being sold on the market for L$1500.In post-war Liberia, 90 percent of the population lives below US$1 daily since they earn their livelihood by petty trading.  However, President Sirleaf’s imposition of the state of the emergency last Wednesday is part of the fight against the spread of the deadly Ebola virus that continues to take away precious lives across the country.The President announced that the nation is currently affected to the extent where the disease has now spread to eight counties — Lofa, Bong Margibi, Nimba, Bomi, Montserrado, Grand Bassa and Grand Gedeh.Liberia, the President said, is among three countries, experiencing an unprecedented outbreak of the virus, the largest since the virus was first discovered in 1976.“It now poses serious risks to the health, safety, security and welfare of our nation. And beyond the public health risk, the disease is now undermining the economic stability of our country to the tone of millions of dollars in lost revenue, productivity and economic activity,” the President said. As such, and out of fear of being infected with the disease, health care practitioners are afraid to accept new patients, especially in community clinics all across the country. Consequently, President Sirleaf added that many common diseases which are especially prevalent during the rainy season, such as malaria, typhoid and common colds, are going untreated, which may lead to unnecessary and preventable deaths. Based on her concern for Liberians, the President said, her government requires extraordinary measures for the very survival of the state and for the protection of the lives of Liberians. “Therefore, and by the virtue of the powers vested in me as President of the Republic of Liberia, I, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of the Republic of Liberia, and in keeping with Article 86(a) (b) of the Constitution of Liberia, hereby declare a State of Emergency throughout the country effective as of August 6, 2014 for a period of 90 days.”Under this State of Emergency, the President said, the government will institute extraordinary measures, including, if need be, the suspensions of certain rights and privileges.By that, the President further instructed all non-essential government staff to stay at home for 30 days, ordered the closure of schools, and authorized the fumigation of all public buildings. Markets in affected areas have been shut down and movement restricted in others.While sending children out to sell in the streets amounts to child labor, the above incident speaks to a different issue, as the officers were clearly not acting in the interest of child rights and fled the scene upon encountering a reporter. If they were simply abusing their powers, that presents a problem.There is a need to define exactly what rights and priveleges are being suspended in line with this State of Emergency, especially as far as the Armed Forces are concerned, in order to prevent the abuse of power and the state of emergency.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read more…

Sharks post-game video: DeBoer discusses call that flipped Game 2

first_imgAfter falling behind early, the San Jose Sharks rallied to tie Game 2 of their NHL Playoff series against the Vegas Golden Knights. Unfortunately, they still had two more periods to play.The Sharks were unable to answer two goals that was ultimately the difference in 5-3 contest. After the game, Sharks coach Pete DeBoer zeroed on a key call in the second period. The team thought that Brent Burns shot a goal, putting the team up 4-3, but the officials waved it off and assessed the Sharks a …last_img read more

Read more…

Trae Young wins point guard battle as Hawks topple Thunder

first_imgPH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss The Hawks wore new powder blue uniforms with red trim and numbers for the first time. It won’t be the last.“I told our equipment guy, Zac (Walsh) that we have to play in those uniforms for the rest of the month,” said Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce.The uniforms were introduced as part of the Hawks’ 50-year celebration in Atlanta.HOMECOMINGSchroder was happy to be traded to a contender but said his time with the Hawks “was special.”The Hawks had a “welcome back” video tribute for Schroder during a first-quarter timeout. Schroder raised his arm to acknowledge the fans. “I appreciated it a lot,” he said.UP NEXTThunder: Host Lakers on Thursday.Hawks: Host Celtics on Saturday. That wasn’t enough scoring to match the Hawks, who made 18 of 37 3-pointers. Atlanta set a season scoring high.Oklahoma City coach Billy Donovan said his team didn’t play winning defense.“What did we score tonight, 126 points?” Donovan asked. “That should be good enough for us to win.”John Collins made 12 of 14 shots from the field and led Atlanta with 26 points. Alex Len had 24 points and 11 rebounds. The Hawks were 18 of 37 on 3-pointers.Young opened the final period with a tying 3-pointer. He added a three-point play and another basket as the Hawks regained momentum. A jam by Omari Spellman pushed Atlanta’s lead to 117-107, and another dunk by Spellman pushed the advantage to 121-109.A steal and reverse jam by DeAndre Bembry iced the win.TIP-INSThunder: F Nerlens Noel (concussion protocol) “is doing a little more each day,” Donovan said before the game. … G Alex Abrines (personal reasons) missed his eighth straight game.Hawks: G Jeremy Lin (flu-like symptoms) was not with the team. F Taurean Prince was limited in his second game back while recovering from similar symptoms. … G Kent Bazemore (right ankle sprain) and F Dewayne Dedmon (left ankle sprain) did not play. Dedmon may return Saturday against Boston.MORE BLUE TO COME SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion “It feels good,” Young said. “… To get a win against one of the top teams in the league is pretty special for us.”The Thunder are third in the West but have lost three of four. The Hawks have won eight of their last 15 but still rank ahead of only three teams in the Eastern Conference.Paul George said the Thunder were “a little flat.”“These are the games that we have to be ready for, one of those games that we were supposed to roll and that didn’t happen tonight,” George said. “When you play a team like the Hawks, you have to match their energy and we didn’t do that tonight.”Russell Westbrook led Oklahoma City with 31 points and 11 assists. George had 24 points and Jerami Grant added 21.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 76ers unleash 81-point first half to rout Timberwolves Atlanta Hawks guard Trae Young (11) drives to the basket past Oklahoma City Thunder guard Dennis Schroder, right, during the first half of an NBA basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019, at State Farm Arena in Atlanta. (Curtis Compton/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)ATLANTA — Just when it seemed Dennis Schroder would enjoy a triumphant return to Atlanta, his successor as the Hawks’ starting point guard had a winning answer.Trae Young had 24 points and 11 assists to win the showdown of current and past Atlanta point guards, leading the Hawks over the Oklahoma City Thunder 142-126 on Tuesday night.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviñocenter_img “Tonight the shots just kept falling,” said Young, who had four 3-pointers. “When you see the ball go in like we did tonight, I think it just keeps rolling.”Schroder scored 21 points, including 14 in the third quarter. He had the Thunder’s final 11 points of the period, the last six on free throws, for a 100-97 lead.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsYoung answered with 13 points in the final period as the Hawks enjoyed their second 45-point quarter of the game. The Hawks outscored Oklahoma City 45-30 in the second period and 45-26 in the closing period.The win was especially sweet for Young, the former star for his home-state Oklahoma Sooners. SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion MOST READ Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? View comments LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games openinglast_img read more

Read more…

Working Group to Sustain Peace in St. Catherine North Police Division

first_img A stakeholder working group has been formed in the St. Catherine North Police Division in an effort to sustain the positive results of the State of Public Emergency (SOPE) in the area.The group, comprising members of the security forces, political representatives, business leaders, community leaders and the church, was formed at a meeting of stakeholders organised by the joint security forces with responsibility for the SOPE.The meeting, which took place at the Church of God of Prophecy Convention Centre on Old Harbour Road on Thursday evening (April 12), was held to facilitate discussion and collaboration among the various interests within the division on a plan to maintain the gains once the SOPE ends.Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Clifford Blake, who was the main presenter, implored persons to participate in the discussions with solutions in mind to improve the division’s outlook. He noted that while the gains of the SOPE were good, the security operations could not and would not last forever.He reiterated that sustainable peace needed to be maintained and that the next two months were critical in arriving at solutions to achieve this. “We want to leave here this afternoon with a working group and a resolve that the security forces, politicians, members of the business community and all of us combined are going to work together to sustain peace, not only in St. Catherine North but in Jamaica,” he said.“While the security forces take the lead to sustain and keep the peace, building the peace is everyone’s responsibility,” DCP Blake noted further.He said he was pleased with the afternoon’s turnout and indicated that there were sufficient persons present “to start a good thing”.For his part, Commanding Officer of the St. Catherine North Division, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Beau Rigabie, welcomed the group and expressed confidence that it would arrive at some workable ideas on how to sustain the positive results that have, so far, been achieved.“The concept that I would want them to embrace is to look calculatedly at the nuances that affect the division. We would also want them to look at whatever measures they think can create the avenue for change,” he said.SSP Rigabie pointed out that much of the gang-related crime in the division is driven by extortion and that when that source of revenue is removed, it would leave a void that needs to be filled with legal sources of income.“I want them to look also at the various agencies that can come in and give alternatives to these persons, because whilst we remove one avenue of revenue, there will be the need to replace it. So, I am hoping that this committee will be looking towards the various alternatives to the revenue that they normally have,” he said. The SOPE in the St. Catherine North Division began on March 18 for an initial two weeks. It has since been extended to July. Story Highlights The meeting, which took place at the Church of God of Prophecy Convention Centre on Old Harbour Road on Thursday evening (April 12), was held to facilitate discussion and collaboration among the various interests within the division on a plan to maintain the gains once the SOPE ends. Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Clifford Blake, who was the main presenter, implored persons to participate in the discussions with solutions in mind to improve the division’s outlook. He noted that while the gains of the SOPE were good, the security operations could not and would not last forever. A stakeholder working group has been formed in the St. Catherine North Police Division in an effort to sustain the positive results of the State of Public Emergency (SOPE) in the area. last_img read more

Read more…