Tag: 夜上海论坛GZ

Turks and Caicos government threatens to demolish political party headquarters

first_img Sharing is caring! Tweet Share Share Photo credit: worldatlas.comPROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands — Last week, the Turks and Caicos Islands government served civil proceedings on the Progressive National Party (PNP) seeking the recovery of the land upon which the PNP headquarters building is constructed, together with damages, including an order to pull down and destroy the structure. The claim arises from the PNP’s alleged trespass following its construction of its headquarters on Airport Road, Providenciales, on Crown land to which, the government claims, it had, and has no title. According to a government press release on Tuesday, after construction of its headquarters in 2005/6, the PNP subsequently appointed a management agent, Provident Management Services Ltd, to manage the property. During the last elected administration prior to the imposition of direct rule by Britain, Provident is said to have sub-leased six offices in the headquarters to PNP MPs for a total of $465,083.61 over approximately three years, which was paid by the government. The government seeks the return of that sum, to which Provident was not entitled together with other damages.The government said it is seeking a number of remedies for the alleged trespass:• damages for the PNP’s trespass on the land, based on a reasonable annual rent until possession of the land is returned to the Crown;• the repayment of the $465,083.61;• an order that the headquarters are pulled down and destroyed;• damages for returning the land to its former state; and• interest and costsAttorney General Huw Shepheard commented: “When the current administration first became aware last year that the PNP’s headquarters had been built on Crown land to which the PNP had no title, my Chambers wrote to the PNP setting out the claim that the government had. It had been our hope that matters could be settled amicably without the need for proceedings. Unfortunately, discussions with the PNP have not been successful. In those circumstances, the government has been left with no choice but to bring these proceedings for trespass and damages to recover this plot of Crown land and what is properly owed to the government”. Carlos Simons QC, attorney for the PNP, said in response that he does not consider that the government has as yet “served civil proceedings on the Progressive National Party” as the press statement asserts. “I believe that their method of service does not meet the requirements of TCI procedural law and until the mistake is corrected, the party has no formal notice of the proceedings and does not have to respond. That issue has been brought to the attention of the Attorney General’s Chambers, but might in the end require the attention of the Court,” he said.Simons went on to say that the trespass claim is entirely misconceived. “The party has been in open possession of the Airport Road property since at least 2005 with the full knowledge of the leaders of every government department concerned with dealings in Crown land and with their acquiescence, if not consent,” he explained.Simons also rejected the assertion that Provident Management Services Ltd sub-leased six offices in the headquarters building to PNP MPs, but instead leased the offices to the government, with those leases being signed off on behalf of the government by the head of department having control of the relevant vote. Furthermore, he said, those leases were identical to leases entered into by the government in Grand Turk, South Caicos and North and Middle Caicos for the constituency offices of Members of Parliament, including constituency offices for PDM [Peoples Democratic Movement] Members of Parliament. “That assertion is therefore false,” Simons reiterated.He also said that the PNP has never disputed the government’s right to a reasonable annual rent, nor payment of the market value of the land. “That is therefore a non-issue,” he said.As regards the claim for damages for trespass, Simons asserted that any reasonable person would agree that the land has been developed and improved rather than injured. “I would also be surprised if anyone, regardless of their political allegiance would agree that pulling down and destroying a perfectly good building makes any kind of sense,” he said.Simons said he had been instructed to invite the attorney general and the governor to return to the negotiation table and make a good faith attempt to reach a reasonable settlement of these issues.In any case, he said, the PNP is committed to rigorously defending and defeating these spurious claims brought by the interim government, purportedly on behalf of the people.By Caribbean News Now contributorcenter_img Share 29 Views   no discussions NewsRegional Turks and Caicos government threatens to demolish political party headquarters by: – March 21, 2012last_img read more

Read more…

Cricket News Kohli is greatest ODI batsman to have played the game: Clarke

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: That Virat Kohli is destined to be among the pantheons of all-time greats is an oft-repeated assertion but for former Australia captain Michael Clarke, the India skipper is already the “greatest ODI batsman to have ever played the game”. Kohli, the world’s no.1 Test and ODI batsman, led India through a historic tour of Australia, during which the team won the Test and ODI rubbers and drew the T20 International series. Kohli’s India was the first team ever not to lose any series Down Under and along the way, he continued to add to his rapidly-rising count of international hundreds.“To me, Virat Kohli is the greatest batsman to have ever played one-day cricket. I have no doubts after seeing what he has achieved for India,” Clarke, himself a former World Cup-winning captain, told PTI in an interview. Kohli has already scored 10,385 runs in 219 ODIs with an astounding average of 59 plus, including 39 hundreds.An unabashed Kohli fan, Clarke said that the 30-year-old Indian’s passion is unmatchable. “You have to respect Virat’s passion to win games for his country. Yes, he has aggression but no one can question his commitment, how much he has achieved. He is the greatest in ODIs,” Clarke said.Also Read | Virat Kohli’s India in Australia: Five memorable moments from historic tourWhile Kohli’s craft continues to evoke awe, his predecessor Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s current form has the cricketing world divided.  Dhoni’s style of batsmanship in ODIs, no longer as aggressive as it used to be, has been a matter of concern but for Clarke, the 37-year-old former India captain should be left alone to play his game.“MS knows how to react to any given situation. He has played 300 plus ODIs so he knows how to go about his job,” Clarke said.But would Dhoni have been as effective as he was in the third ODI against Australia if the target would have been 330 instead of 230?“I think he would have played differently. It was 230 and he had a particular strategy and it would have been different if the target would have been bigger,” he said.“Look at his approach in the second game in Adelaide and the third game in Melbourne. It was different,” Clarke said.Asked what should be Dhoni’s batting position in the World Cup, Clarke said, “Any position 4, 5 or 6. He is good enough to bat at any position and I believe Virat will use him accordingly.”Clarke, however, made it clear that the currently suspended Hardik Pandya would play an important role for India going into the World Cup in England. Pandya faces, as of now, an uncertain future owing to his much-condemned sexist remarks on a TV show.“A talented player like Hardik is very necessary for the balance of the side. He can win games alone with his batting and I am confident he will be in that World Cup squad,” Clarke sounded confident. While he didn’t speak about the Pandya-KL Rahul controversy but Clarke looked at the bigger picture about professional sportspersons being role models.  He stressed on the aspect of “respect”.Asked if a lot of money is making youngsters go haywire in their conduct, Clarke gave his insight. “How much money you have earned is irrelevant because most important thing is to earn and give respect. I think it all starts with how you have been brought up.Also Read | Let Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul play while inquiry is on: BCCI president CK Khanna“Respecting every individual is very important. It starts with respecting elders regardless of profession,” Clarke, who has been a chip of the old bloc when it comes to traditions, said. But former batting mainstay also spoke about the need to not make one “mistake” the focus of somebody’s career.“Professional sportspersons are role models, recognized and they have a responsibility. Having said that, everyone makes mistakes and one needs to move on and learn from them,” said Clarke, who played 115 Tests and 245 ODIs for Australia.Asked if India are favourites to win the World Cup, Clarke said, “Certainly one of the favourites with the kind of bowling talent India have at the moment. The batting was always strong and they also have wonderful young spinners. What has impressed Clarke is the fact that India doesn’t have any “apparent weakness in the bowling department”.“Jasprit Bumrah is a skillful bowler who is improving every day. He continues to get better with his seam, swing, and pace. He is the best death bowler in ODI cricket at the moment,” said Clarke.However, the cricket analyst in him also feels that England will be a very difficult team to beat at home. “England is a very good ODI side and will be hard to beat at home. Also, I would like Australia to be in the mix. Australia will get better when the frontline pacers including Nathan Coulter Nile come back,” explained Clarke.Talking about Australian cricket, Clarke is hopeful that things will change for the better very soon if there is good leadership (not captaincy). “There is plenty of talent in Australian cricket. We have good young players playing Sheffield Shield. They still believe Test cricket is the pinnacle,” he said.  But he offered a word of caution too. A lot of hard work is needed and good leadership, which can select the right guys, back them and give them time to perform,” he said. last_img read more

Read more…

Ask the Mayor — August 21, 2019 — Mason City mayor Bill Schickel

first_imgMason City’s mayor Bill Schickel was our guest on “Ask the Mayor” on KGLO. Listen back to the program via the audio player below.last_img

Read more…

Dozens protest Trump travel ban at MIA FLL

first_imgProtest at FLL today was organized and peaceful thanks to the efforts of its organizers and the airport team. Thank you.— Ft. Laude-Hlwd Int’l (@FLLFlyer) January 29, 2017Seventeen-year-old protester Aayah Ismail said she can live a better life because her father was able to emigrate from Palestine, and that’s why she is taking part in the demonstration. “My father was an immigrant, and when he came over here he struggled, he worked hard, and now he’s a proud American, and we’re missing out on so many people like him,” she said.“They understand where I came from and the hardship of living we had,” said Ismail’s father, Yousef Ismail. “I came here to look for a better life and, thank God, I do have a better life over here.”In his statement, Trump indicated visas will be issued to citizens of all countries in the travel ban after 90 days. Despite the temporary stay on Trump’s executive order, the Department of Homeland Security said in a statement, Sunday: “The president’s executive orders remain in place. Prohibited travel will remain prohibited, and the U.S. government retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety.”One demonstrator said Trump’s order is a step backwards. “I think this is the way to make terrorism worse,” said Jane Atchison. In response to the demonstrations, Trump released a statement, Sunday, that reads in part, “My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months.”In the statement, Trump went on to say: “This is not about religion — this is about terror and keeping our country safe. There are over 40 different countries worldwide that are majority Muslim that are not affected by this order.” Our country needs strong borders and extreme vetting, NOW. Look what is happening all over Europe and, indeed, the world – a horrible mess!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 29, 2017A Syrian immigrant family protesting the policy said the commander in chief has a very narrow view of life in the countries included in the ban. “Mr. Trump, he might have a good heart, but I don’t think he thinks things through,” said one family member.The family hopes their participation in the protests will help bring understanding and change.“Wow! The people are standing up. This is what democracy is all about. This is what America is all about,” said protester Mary Dye. center_img MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, FLA. (WSVN) – Protesters gathered at the nation’s airports this weekend to denounce President Donald Trump’s travel ban against citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries, and those in South Florida were no exception.7News cameras captured dozens of demonstrators outside Gate D at Miami International Airport, Sunday afternoon. Protesters chanted and held signs in front of a display of international flags.“No fear, no hate. Donald Trump wants to divide us, and he’s actually uniting us,” said one protester as she yelled into a bullhorn.The crowd continued to grow throughout the day, as they chanted “here to stay” and “no ban, no wall, love is what unites us all.”Protesters also descended on Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Sunday. “I, as a rabbi, as a member of the clergy, feel strongly that I have a prophetic calling to stand up for justice, to stand up for what’s right,” said Rabbi David Paskia. “This ban on Muslims, this ban on immigrants and refugees is wrong.”RELATED: Trump travel ban sows chaos at airports, outrage at protestsTrump’s executive order bars citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering the United States. It also suspends the admission of all refugees for 120 days.However, a federal judge issued an emergency stay, blocking the government from sending people out of the country after they arrive with valid visas. The protest at MIA wrapped up at around 6 p.m.Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.last_img read more

Read more…