Tag: 夜上海论坛AD

CDC releases viruses for novel H1N1 vaccine development

first_imgMay 27, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – Sanofi Pasteur announced today that it has received a novel H1N1 influenza vaccine virus from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), moving the company a step closer to starting production of a vaccine.CDC spokesman Tom Skinner said this afternoon that the agency is also sending the vaccine virus to other manufacturers, located overseas, who should receive the samples within a few days.Jeff McLaughlin, a spokesman for vaccine maker GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), said today he couldn’t confirm GSK’s receipt of the vaccine strain, but added, “We understand that the CDC is in the process of shipping the strain to all the relevant manufacturers.”CDC and World Health Organization (WHO) officials had predicted that the CDC would release H1N1 vaccine viruses to manufacturers by the end of May. WHO officials have said that production of H1N1 vaccines is most likely to begin in July.The preparation of a vaccine strain involves combining a clinical sample of the target virus with another influenza virus that grows in eggs. This process creates a new virus that has some of the properties of the target virus and the ability to grow in eggs, the US Department of Health and Human Services noted today in a fact sheet on vaccine development activities. Most flu vaccines are still produced by growing them in eggs.Wayne Pisano, president of Sanofi Pasteur, said in a news release, “As a company committed to protecting human health, Sanofi Pasteur looks forward to quickly understanding how this virus performs in a vaccine manufacturing environment and developing a working seed that will enable large-scale production.”Sanofi will now begin “passaging” the virus, referring to “the process for acclimating virus to grow in a production environment at optimum yield,” the company said. The process will take about 2 weeks.”Following quality controls, Sanofi Pasteur will be prepared to begin industrial production as soon as directed by public health agencies,” the statement added.Health officials have estimated it would take manufacturers 4 to 6 months from when they receive the vaccine strain to start producing a vaccine in quantity. But a Sanofi spokeswoman said last week that the company may be able to start producing its first doses in 3 to 4 months.Sanofi and GSK both announced within the past few days that they had received US government orders for novel H1N1 vaccines.In related news, the WHO has recommended that vaccines for the novel H1N1 influenza virus be based on an isolate from California, saying most H1N1 viruses isolated so far are very similar to it.A majority of the novel H1N1 viruses isolated so far are antigenically and genetically related to the isolate known as A/California/7/2009 (H1N1), the WHO said in a statement posted online yesterday.The WHO said that its collaborating laboratories, certain regulatory agency laboratories, and other partners are developing reassortant viruses antigenically similar to the California strain for use in vaccines.Skinner, of the CDC, said the agency used the California strain in making the vaccine virus now being released to manufacturers.WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said several other WHO collaborating centers and regulatory laboratories are developing novel H1N1 vaccine viruses. He said they include St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, a US Food and Drug Administration lab, and facilities in Japan, the United Kingdom, and Australia.See also: May 27 Sanofi press releaseMay 26 CIDRAP News story “Companies receive HHS orders for novel flu vaccine”WHO recommendation on strain for vaccine developmentlast_img read more

Read more…

UK reports lowest virus death toll in weeks

first_imgDespite the slowdown — which came at a weekend when the toll has often been lower — Environment Secretary George Eustice said now was not the time to relax strict social distancing rules.”There are encouraging signs of progress,” he said at the daily Downing Street press briefing. “But before we consider it safe to adjust any of the current system distancing measures, we must be satisfied that we have met the five tests set last week.”These included making sure the British health service NHS was able to cope, and a “sustained and consistent” fall in the daily death rate. Britain on Sunday reported its lowest daily rise in coronavirus deaths in nearly four weeks as the government resisted calls for an early easing of countrywide lockdown rules.The number of people who have died from the virus has risen by 413 to 20,732, officials said Sunday, the lowest reported daily increase in fatalities in all of April.The last time the health department recorded a smaller increase was on March 31, at 381 deaths.  Influence row Meanwhile a row continues over the role played by Johnson’s chief advisor, Dominic Cummings, after it emerged he attended meetings of the main scientific group-advising ministers on the coronavirus pandemic. Downing Street denied that Cummings and another advisor, Ben Warner, were members of what is supposed to be the politically independent Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) but said they attended so as to “understand better” the scientific debates concerning this emergency”.A former Conservative frontbencher, David Davis, tweeted: “We should publish the membership of SAGE: remove any non-scientist members”. Johnson returning Raab told Sky News that Johnson would be back in his Downing Street office on Monday after recovering and was in “good spirits” and “raring to go”.He has been recuperating at the British prime ministerial retreat, Chequers, outside London since his release from hospital on April 12.Despite Sunday’s lower death toll Britain remains one of the worst-hit countries in the world by the virus.The government has been under scrutiny, especially over shortages in personal protective equipment and a lack of widespread testing, particularly of frontline health and social care workers.center_img Topics : The UK was initially placed into lockdown on March 23. This was extended on April 16 and a review is due on May 7.Eustice echoed statements made by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab — who has been deputizing for Boris Johnson as the prime minister recovers from contracting the virus — earlier on Sunday that the lockdown rules would “be with us for some time” and were the “new normal”.Raab told the BBC: “We do want to look at when it’s safe, when it’s responsible, at ways to allow more outside activities to take place but, again, we have got to have the evidence that it’s a surefooted step and doesn’t allow the coronavirus to get a grip back on the country.”There have been calls for the rules to be relaxed from within the ruling Conservative Party.The new opposition Labor party leader Keir Starmer meanwhile wrote to Johnson on Sunday asking for details on a potential lifting of restrictions.He accused the government of “mistakes” at the beginning of the crisis and added: “The government cannot fall short in its preparations for what happens when the time is right for lockdown measures to be lifted.”Sunday’s figures also showed another 4,463 people had tested positive for the virus, bringing the total to almost 153,000.last_img read more

Read more…

Kompany could feature for Belgium

first_imgManchester City captain Vincent Kompany could return to action in Belgium’s World Cup qualifier in Macedonia on Friday. City’s defensive linchpin has not played since suffering a calf injury in the FA Cup fourth-round win at Stoke on January 26 but club boss Roberto Mancini said last week he hoped Kompany would be able to face to Newcastle in their next Barclays Premier League game on March 30. In the meantime the 26-year-old has been summoned for international duty and is being assessed ahead of his country’s Group D double-header against Macedonia in Skopje, on Friday, and Brussels next Tuesday. Belgium assistant coach Vidal Borkelmans told Sky Sports News: “Vincent is very important, he is captain of the team. “We are quite happy he has been here. We will see. We will make about Wednesday a point whether he plays or not. “He must listen to the body. He must say, ‘I am okay’ and then it is a decision of the coach what he does, yes or no.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read more…

Boys soccer Warriors, Wildcats earn league wins

first_img Tags: Bishop Luddenboys soccerWest GeneseeWesthill WG featured a well-balanced attack where four different players – Tom Shields, Jacob Sachar, Josh Rimauldo and David Puma – found the net. Nolan Merritt and Jesper Behr earned assists, with Alex Toumbarcis and Josh Farrell combining for 11 saves.Bishop Ludden, having moved to no. 11 in the state Class C rankings, reinforced that high status in last Tuesday’s 6-1 romp over the LaFayette Lancers, where Michael Gaughan again stood out.Already up 2-0, at halftime, the Gaelic Knights got away with Gaughan pouring in four goals and adding an assist. Mark Collins and Luke Infanti also found the net as Liam Mahar got two assists and Charlie Colella added an assist.At Tully two days later, Ludden again jumped out in front with a pair of first-half goals, only here that was the only thing needed to gain a 2-0 shutout of the Black Knights.Gaughan and Mahar earned the goals, with Colella adding an assist. Tully had plenty of its own chances throughout the game, but goalie Jim McGarvey turned back all 10 of the Black Knights’ shots.Solvay lost, 5-0 to Chittenango last Monday, and then struggled again two days later in a 7-2 defeat to Cazenovia, though Ty Martineau did score a goal and assist on Alex Wilsch’s tally. Jonathan Gonzalez Perez had 15 saves. Humbled on Sept. 16 by Marcellus when it was undefeated and held the top spot in the state Class B rankings, the Westhill boys soccer team fell to no. 13 in the state poll, but quickly resumed its winning form.The Warriors hosted Mexico exactly one week after the defeat to the Mustangs, getting away in the second half to blank The Tigers 4-0.A well-balanced attack included one goal and one assist from Bo BenYehuda, with Andrew Centore, Brian Kenny and Jackson Powers also getting goals. Will Delano added an assist. Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story When West Genesee hosted state Class AA no. 12-ranked Fayetteville-Manlius last Tuesday, it expected to make the Hornets worry, just as it did to Baldwinsville a week earlier.But the Hornets had none of it, topping WG 3-0 as Cheech Pagano netted two of F-M’s three goals. Ziad Abdul-Malik had the other goal as none of the Wildcats’ nine shots got past Chris Szidat or Will Summers.This loss didn’t shake up the Wildcats too much, though, for on Thursday night it hosted Cicero-North Syracuse and unleashed its attack on the Northstars, not letting up until it had earned a 4-2 victory.last_img read more

Read more…