Also yesterday, Latina Prensa (Latin American News Agency) quoted an Angolan official as saying the disease has killed more than 400 people. The story said Health Minister Sebastiao Veloso told reporters “that the infection still inflicts fatalities every five or six days, and that the death toll already exceeds 400 in four months, affecting seven provinces.” See also: MSF said the epidemic “seems to be grinding to a halt,” with only a few new cases confirmed in the past few weeks. “MSF has ended its emergency intervention and handed over its activities,” the article said. After a review of data on the epidemic, the Angolan Ministry of Health reported a total of 351 cases, 312 of them fatal, the WHO said today. In a Jun 17 update, the WHO had listed the Ministry of Health’s tally as 422 cases with 356 deaths. The WHO offered no explanation for the change in the numbers. However, the WHO statement said the outbreak response team in Angola “is currently following up 64 contacts in Uige Province,” where the vast majority of cases have occurred. “The team continues to receive and investigate alerts to potential cases,” the WHO said. “Clinical specimens from alerts are being transported to the Canadian National Microbiology Laboratory.” Jun 17 WHO report on Marburg epidemichttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_06_17/en/index.html The story says that 16 staff members in Uige’s main hospital died of Marburg as a result of inadequate infection control measures. The MSF article describes the difficulties that medical workers faced as they worked to control the epidemic by quickly burying bodies and isolating patients while trying not to alienate the population. People suspected of being infected were often reluctant to go to health facilities for diagnosis and possible isolation, mainly because there is no cure for the disease. The medical aid group Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF), or Doctors without Borders, in an article published online yesterday, put the size of the outbreak at 391 cases with 350 deaths. Dr. Armand Sprecher, a public health specialist who has dealt with both Ebola fever and Marburg, called Marburg “even scarier” than Ebola. “A person can feel a bit weak and look slightly ill but drop dead the next day,” he was quoted as saying. Jul 13 WHO statement on Marburg epidemichttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_07_13/en/index.html Jul 13, 2005 (CIDRAP News) The latest report from the World Health Organization (WHO) on the Marburg hemorrhagic fever epidemic in Angola gives significantly lower numbers of cases and deaths than previous reports. Meanwhile, still other numbers have been reported by other sources this week. The report says Marburg is hard to detect, with symptomshigh fever, diarrhea, and vomitingthat resemble those of other common tropical diseases such as malaria. “The disease is not as dramatic and ‘gory’ as media reports portray it to be,” the story says.
Rick Scott is among those calling out LeBron James for his comments on China. The Lakers star said yesterday that Houston GM Daryl Morey’s tweet in support of Hong Kong protesters hurt people financially, physically, emotionally and spiritually. Senator Scott tweeted it’s sad to see James joining the chorus kow-towing to Communist China and putting profits over human rights. https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/LeBron.mp3James also said Morey wasn’t educated about the issue, but Scott says James is clearly the one who isn’t educated on the situation.James made the comments before the Lakers’ preseason game against the Warriors in LA Monday. He later clarified on Twitter that he “did not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet.”The Lakers played two preseason games against the Brooklyn Nets in China last week, and the players had to deal with the backlash firsthand.ESPN reports that players met with NBA commissioner Adam Silver in China and many were upset because they felt they were in the middle of the rift between the host country and the league. Morey tweeted out “Fight For Freedom. Stand With Hong Kong,” on October 4th, which caused an uproar from many in China. Multiple Chinese sponsors (the vast majority of Nike shoes are made in factories in China) cut ties with the NBA and China’s state television broadcaster refused to air the preseason games on TV. Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta stated that Morey did not speak for the team.Silver defended Morey’s right to free speech last week, but also regretted that so many Chinese were upset by his tweet.