cocobang says: 1 thought on “Machine vision and plumbers’ helpers at ESC Minneapolis 2017” Do you recall my ESC Boston: You should have been there! column from earlier this year? As part of that column, I included this short video, which was taken by my chum, Stephane Boucher, who leads the EmbeddedRelated.com website.This video shows me demonstrating a mega-cool artificial neural network (ANN) and deep-learning system performing a machine vision application (the system was loaned to me by the chaps and chappesses at CEVA).The way this works is that I set my notepad computer to display a series of random images that were originally gleaned from the Internet. I also have a small webcam that’s pointing at the screen. The output from the webcam is fed into a board in which the neural network is implemented on a Xilinx FPGA. The neural network identifies the images. The output from the board is the original image augmented by an identifying caption, like “African Elephant,” “Human Baby,” “Steel Bridge,” “Soft Toy,” and so forth. This is all happening at a rate of about one image per second, which makes it even more impressive.I’ll be taking this system with me to show off at the Electronics of Tomorrow conference in Denmark on October 31. The following week, I’ll be demonstrating it as part of my Advanced Technologies for 21st Century Embedded Systems talk at the Embedded Systems Conference (ESC) in Minneapolis.Before setting off on my travels, I thought I’d better set everything up in the bay outside my office, just to ensure that everything was tickety-boo, as it were. Once the system was up and running, I decided (with the permission of their boss) to invite the lads from the manufacturing area downstairs to come and have a look. After all, it’s not every day that they get to see next-generation technology of this ilk.So, we all trooped upstairs and they were suitably impressed. But then one of them (there’s always one, isn’t there?) said, “Hang on, how do we know that these aren’t pre-selected images that the system has been specially taught to recognize?”Well, that’s not an unfair question, when you come to think about it, so I responded, “Why don’t you try pointing the camera at other things in the room?”First, he pointed it at my notepad computer and, a second later, the output display showed the image of the computer annotated with the text “Notepad Computer.” Next, he pointed it at a book, then a pen, and so on for other objects that happened to by lying around on the table.Unexpectedly, he pointed it at one of the other lads — a nice guy sporting a T-shirt and a nonchalantly unshaved look. The system immediately responded with “Plumber’s Helper.” I have to say that this took everyone by surprise and we all burst out laughing.(Source: pixabay.com) Goodness only knows how the neural network came to this conclusion. I’m also wondering how it become part of the network’s training? Still-and-all, as they say, it was a pretty clever conclusion, resulting in the lad now having a new nickname that might follow him around for a long time to come.Will you be attending ESC Minneapolis? If so, it would be great to see you at my talk. Alternatively, if you spot me ambling around, please feel free to stop me to say “Hi”. I’ll be the one in the Hawaiian shirt. As always, all you have to do is shout “Max, Beer!” or “Max, Bacon!” to be assured of my undivided attention. Continue Reading Previous eFPGA custom blocks supercharge data acceleration systemsNext Meet the future at ESC Silicon Valley 2017 Leave a Reply Cancel reply You must Register or Login to post a comment. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed. Share this:TwitterFacebookLinkedInMoreRedditTumblrPinterestWhatsAppSkypePocketTelegram Tags: Industry November 9, 2017 at 10:34 pm Log in to Reply “dasdasd”
Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has hinted at rotating his squad ahead of a busy run of matched both in the league and in Europe.The former Napoli manager, who has used the second least number of players this season, has revealed that he will possibly call on some of the club’s fringe players with the match roster about to get packed.“We have used 26 players in official matches [in all competitions] this season so the rotation at the moment is this, but I don’t know in the future,” said Sarri, according to LiveSoccer.Maurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“If you look only in the Premier League the situation is that, you are right [only used 19 players] but I have to look at all competitions: 90 minutes are 90 minutes. You have to look at the League Cup, Europa League, and the national team.“I have to look also to the minutes in the national teams. So I think the rotation is good. Every moment was done only between the Europa League, League Cup, and Premier League but, in the future, it will be different.“If you look at December and January, you need to change also in the Premier League because we will play every three days in the Premier League. So we need to change in the Premier League.”
Dan Cohen AUTHOR The city of Fayetteville, N.C., will use a $300,000 grant from DOD’s Office of Economic Adjustment to assess the economic impact of downsizing at Fort Bragg as the Army shrinks its active-duty end strength from 490,000 to 450,000 soldiers by the end of fiscal 2018.Fort Bragg — home to more than 53,000 personnel — is slated to experience a net loss of 842 soldiers as a result of the Army’s latest round of restructuring.The study will look at the economic impact of troop losses on Fayetteville and Cumberland, Harnett and Hoke counties, Rochelle Small-Toney, a deputy city manager, told the Fayetteville Observer. The grant does not require a match of city funds. The city plans to hire a temporary project manager and a consultant who would work through its Economic and Business Development Department, Small-Toney said.The project is scheduled to be completed by March 2017.
X Listen To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: 00:00 /44:42 On Monday’s Houston Matters: There’s a heat advisory in effect today in the Houston area as temperatures are expected to once again hover close to 100 degrees. But what good is a heat advisory if you’re forced to remain in a building without working air conditioning? That’s what had apparently been happening recently at a Beaumont prison until a federal judge intervened. We discuss this latest development in what has been a five-year battle over the conditions in which inmates are held.Also this hour: We explore new laws affecting children across the state with the help of the organization Children at Risk.Plus, local veterinarian Dr. Lori Teller answers listener questions. And Jeff Balke updates us on Houston sports. This article is part of the Houston Matters podcast Share
By Jacques Billeaud, The Associated PressAn interracial couple was walking near a Phoenix, Ariz. park when authorities say a shirtless neo-Nazi began angrily yelling a racial slur and harassing the Black man in the couple over dating a White woman.Authorities say the men exchanged tense words before Travis Ricci rushed back to a home where other White supremacists were partying, grabbed a shotgun and returned in a sedan driven by an associate. Ricci leaned out the car and fired two buckshot blasts, missing the Black man — the intended target — and killing his girlfriend, investigators said.These undated photos provided by the Arizona Department of Corrections shows Travis Ricci, left, and Aaron Levi Schmidt, right. Ricci, who authorities said was a member of a white supremacist group, is being tried in Phoenix on a murder charge in a woman’s 2009 shooting death; Schmidt, who drove Ricci, has pleaded guilty to charges of murder and assisting a criminal gang. Prosecutors say the woman, who was white, was killed because Ricci was upset that she was dating a black man. (Arizona Department of Corrections via AP)Lawyers are now picking a jury to decide whether Ricci should be convicted of murder and sentenced to death in the 2009 attack, which prosecutors say was a hate crime. Opening statements are tentatively scheduled for June 6.The case has offered several unexpected turns.Ricci, whose defense is expected to include an argument that he’s not the man he used to be, claims his great-grandfather was a member of the French Resistance killed by Nazis during World War II.Authorities are seeking the death penalty, saying 39-year-old Kelly Ann Jaeger’s killing was meant to further the interests of the Vinlanders Social Club, a neo-Nazi group with a reputation for violence that was later targeted in a law enforcement crackdown.Since prosecutors have called the attack a hate crime, they can seek as many as 11 additional years in prison — above the maximum penalty — if Ricci is convicted of other charges, such as attempted murder, drive-by shooting, aggravated assault and assisting a criminal gang.Ricci pleaded not guilty, and his lawyers have raised questions about the ability of Jaeger’s boyfriend, Jeffery Wellmaker, to identify him as the triggerman. They note that nearly two years after the attack, Wellmaker was jailed in an unrelated case and played chess with Ricci behind bars without recognizing him.Aaron Levi Schmidt, who authorities say was driving the car used in the shooting, pleaded guilty to murder in Jaeger’s death. He is already serving 11 years for assisting a criminal gang. It’s unclear if he’s been sentenced on the murder conviction.Lawyers for Ricci and Schmidt, both now 36, have said their clients weren’t members of the Vinlanders.Police reports say Ricci told associates before the attack that he saw black men hitting a white woman, though it’s unclear if that claim was accurate.Rebecca Wilder, a spokeswoman for the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, which is prosecuting Ricci, declined to comment on the case. The Phoenix Police Department, which investigated the attack, also declined to comment.Prosecutors said in court records that Wellmaker, who was unarmed, was extremely distraught over the attack and tried to help his girlfriend after she was shot. They say Wellmaker didn’t provoke the attack and tried unsuccessfully to push Jaeger out of the path of the shotgun blast, according to court records.Ricci’s attorneys declined to answer questions about the allegations against their client.“He is a very sensitive person who cares about people in general,” said Jennifer Willmott, one of his lawyers. “He has had a very difficult life.”The attack started brewing after Ricci left his friend’s home angry and drunk, making his way into the neighborhood where he eventually noticed Jaeger and Wellmaker, according to a police report.Prosecutors say Ricci hurled a racial slur at Wellmaker and yelled, “What are you doing with a White girl?”He also told Wellmaker he was going to get “something for him,” prosecutors said.Sometime later, Jaeger and Wellmaker were near a pay phone when the sedan pulled up. Ricci fired two shells, hitting Jaeger in the stomach from about 10 feet (3 meters) away, prosecutors said.In an unrelated crime months after Jaeger’s shooting death, police say Ricci stabbed two men who tried to stop him from attacking his girlfriend. He is serving a 22-year sentence for assault and weapons misconduct convictions.
Balurghat: Most of the well-known eateries running in Balurghat have no ‘Food Safety Licences’.The matter came to light following joint drives conducted by the officials of the concerned district Food Safety Department and Balurghat Civic Body over the past two days.It may be mentioned that the state Urban Development department has instructed all civic bodies to conduct raids at restaurants and eateries after a racket selling rotten and stale meat was unearthed in Kolkata. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsThe concerned officials have asked the owners of the restaurants and eateries to follow the food safety norms strictly, failing which they will close down the establishments.During the drives, the officials found that the hotels and restaurants are being run flouting the mentioned norms. In most of the restaurants, the kitchens are being run in unhygienic conditions. However, no stale and rotten meat was found stored in the freezers. Civic officials said the former Left board was largely responsible for the menace of flouting the food safety measures by the owners of those eateries and running their establishments without any hindrance. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedAccording to a civic official, the erstwhile Left board had only distributed registrations to the owners of those establishments for Rs 100 to start their trades.District Food Safety Department official, Biswajit Manna said: “It is unfortunate that most reputed hotels and restaurants in town have no proper infrastructure. The kitchens are unhygienic. The establishments have no Food Safety Licenses too. We have instructed to follow the rules and regulations immediately.” The chairman of Balurghat Municipality, Rajen Shill echoed Manna and said: “We will monitor the situation. Several drives will also be conducted at the eateries in Balurghat in future. We have talked to the officials of district Food Safety Department regarding the matter.”The officials said the raids will be held everyday and restaurants found not following the norms will be booked.It may be mentioned that in Birbhum district, the civic officials have collected food samples from several restaurants and sent them to the laboratories for analysis.