Usually when someone is getting jumped on by a group of men it is a bad thing. For freshman Logan Schuss, though, getting jumped on was a good thing.“At first it wasn’t the best; I couldn’t breathe. But after that it was good,” Schuss said.Schuss was at the center of his team’s overwhelming celebration after Ohio State’s men’s lacrosse team won in overtime Saturday 11-10, after blowing a three-goal lead. Coach Nick Myers constantly encourages team to play a full 60 minutes each time out, but on Saturday they needed a little extra.With the score tied at the end of regulation, the Buckeyes went into sudden-death overtime. One minute and 10 seconds into the overtime, Schuss was able to find the back of the net for the win.“There’s no love for each other, so it’s always nice to come out and beat these kids,” senior goalie Brandon Freeman said.The Buckeyes were able to get the win, but it didn’t come easy.OSU only trailed once in the game when the score was 1-0, but they were never able to pull away.“We knew going into the game there was going to be a run,” Myers said.On multiple occasions, the Buckeyes had two-goal leads and once had a three-goal lead, but Penn State fought back each time. The Buckeyes even had a two-goal lead with less than three minutes to go in the game, but they were unable to close out the Nittany Lions.Myers said he told his team to hang in there. He told them it would take heart and hustle to win the game.OSU was out-shot by Penn State by 24 and won nine fewer face-offs.Schuss was named conference Rookie of the Week last week and he threw his name back in the mix for next week’s award. Along with the game-winning goal, Schuss assisted on four other goals.Along with Schuss, senior Mario Ventiquattro brought his “A” game. Ventiquattro was able to find the back of the net four times.The Buckeyes got the win, but not without injuries. Midway through the fourth quarter, Matt Kawamoto suffered a shoulder injury.With the win, the Buckeyes will take a two-game win streak on the road to play Robert Morris on Tuesday.
Junior forward LaQuinton Ross (10) drives past an opposing player during a game against Northwestern Feb. 19 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won 76-60.Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editorOhio State men’s basketball coach Thad Matta said it was the little things — like missing free throws — that cost his team against Penn State last week.That song remained the same Sunday, as the Buckeyes shot 14-23 from the line compared to 17-21 for Indiana, helping the Hoosiers prevail, 72-64.The free throw line was not the only place No. 22 OSU (22-8, 9-8, sixth in the Big Ten) struggled against the Hoosiers, as the Buckeyes failed to make a 3-pointer in the game, finishing 0-11.A layup by senior guard Lenzelle Smith Jr. with 51 seconds left brought the Buckeyes within six points, but the Hoosiers (17-12, 7-9, seventh in the Big Ten) made enough free throws down the stretch to hold off OSU.The Buckeyes started out strong, much like they did against Penn State Thursday, and led 20-12 after a free throw by Smith Jr. at the 7:54 mark of the first half.That lead didn’t stand, however, as the Hoosiers ripped off 16 straight points to take the lead, 28-20. A pair of layups and a free throw by OSU helped to stop the bleeding, but Indiana still finished the first half on a 21-5 run on its way to a 33-25 halftime advantage.The Buckeyes attempted to fight their way back into the game for the majority of the second half, but were unable to get closer than two in the second half.Indiana was called for its ninth foul of the second half with 10:50 left, but OSU failed to take advantage of the double-bonus, only shooting five free throws for the rest of the game.OSU trailed 58-53 after a layup by junior forward LaQuinton Ross with 3:55 remaining, but Hoosiers’ sophomore forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea then finished an alley oop while getting fouled by Ross. It was Ross’ fifth personal foul of the game, and he exited with 19 points.The Buckeyes struggled the rest of the way to score without Ross on the floor, missing multiple jump shots as they tried to get back in the game.Smith Jr. also tallied 19 points for the Buckeyes, who have now lost back-to-back games after winning six out of seven previous games.The Hoosiers were led by leading scorer and sophomore guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell, who scored a game-high 20 points and dished out four assists. Senior forward Will Sheehey had 19 points and six rebounds.OSU senior guard Aaron Craft struggled offensively for the Buckeyes, going 2-11 from the field to finish with seven points. His three steals in the game gave him 324 in his career, tying him for the most all-time in the Big Ten with former Illinois guard Bruce Douglas.The loss drops OSU to sixth in the Big Ten standings, just a half game behind No. 20 Iowa and Nebraska for fourth place. The top four teams in the final Big Ten standings earn a first-round bye in the Big Ten Tournament, set to begin March 13.The Buckeyes have a week off before their next scheduled game, as they are set to host No. 18 Michigan State Sunday on Senior Day. Tipoff is slated for 4:30 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.
The Big Ten conference has submitted a set of recommendations to the NCAA — including redefining the cost of education and providing improved medical insurance — that it says would improve the college experience for student-athletes who are in “good-standing” with their respective universities.The release is in response to the NCAA’s new autonomy structure that was announced in August which allows the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific 12 and Southeastern conferences to make their own rules concerning scholarships, full cost of attendance and health care for student-athletes.The release by the Big Ten listed four main suggestions its made to the NCAA includingCost of education: Make sure full grant-in-aid meets a student-athlete’s cost of education, as determined by the federal government.Multi-years Scholarships: Guarantee all scholarships so even if a student-athlete is no longer able to compete, there won’t be an impact on a university’s commitment to provide an undergraduate education — no matter what the reason is that student can’t compete.Lifetime educational commitment: Ensure that scholarships don’t have an expiration date, so if a student-athlete leaves a university for a professional career before graduating — whether the career materializes, and regardless of its length — the scholarship will be honored after his or her playing days are complete.Medical insurance: Provide improved and consistent insurance for student-athletes.The release added that Big Ten athletic programs provide almost $200 million in direct financial aid to student-athletes on 350 teams in 42 separate sports.
Then-sophomore attackman Jack Jasinski heads for the goal in the fourth quarter during the first round of the NCAA tournament against Loyola Maryland on May 14, 2017. Credit: Sheridan Hendrix | Former Oller ReporterThe Ohio State men’s lacrosse team will face its biggest test of the season to this point when it travels to take on No. 11 Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, on Saturday.Despite being the only undefeated team left in Division I, the Buckeyes (6-0) have yet to face a ranked opponent this season, and the Fighting Irish (4-2) will be the first.“To beat a team like Notre Dame, you’re going to have to be pretty buttoned up in almost every area, so that’s where our focus has been,” Ohio State head coach Nick Myers said.The No. 5 Buckeyes come into the game with some rest after their game scheduled against Denver last Saturday was canceled due to weather conditions.Myers said he was disappointed in not being able to play, but said the team used its break to come together as a team. But not playing a game since March 9 could prove to be costly for the Buckeyes.“Having two weeks off presents some positives but also so some challenges,” Myers said. “There’s a rhythm that you lose.”Notre Dame got back to its winning ways against Michigan on Tuesday, winning the contest 12-9 off the heels of senior Brendan Gleason’s two goals and an assist. The Fighting Irish also have two ranked wins against No. 4 Maryland and No. 13 Denver.The matchup between the two teams look very similar on paper. Ohio State and Notre Dame have a nearly identical scoring defense, with the Buckeye ranked 12th and Notre Dame ranked 13th. To Myers, the X play will be crucial to the overall success of Ohio State.Ohio State’s sophomore midfielder Justin Inacio has been dominant this season in the faceoff circle with a 63.6 win percentage. Inacio has also been massive on the ground game, ranking No. 5 in ground balls, recording 10.17 per game.Ohio State junior midfielder Christian Feliziani has helped a lot with the faceoff unit, not only with his on-field performance, but through his leadership.“Because of an injury, I couldn’t do a lot in the fall physically, so I tried to use my voice and what I could from the sidelines,” Feliziani said. “I would like to say I was a coach kind of.”Notre Dame junior faceoff specialist Charles Leonard picked up a career-high 16 ground balls last week against Michigan, and was also dominant in the faceoff play, winning an impressive 20-of-24 faceoffs.Saturday will be the 44th matchup between the teams, with Notre Dame leading the series 34-9.No. 5 Ohio State will take on No. 11 Notre Dame on the road at 1 p.m Saturday.
England’s Danny Rose has started to understand how football can overwhelm people after experiences in the club game that he “wouldn’t wish on anybody”.Rose received an outpouring of goodwill from the public and fellow players after opening up about his struggles with mental health. He explained how a lengthy injury lay-off and the suicide of an uncle led him to visit a psychologist and spend a number of months on medication.The Tottenham left-back intends to help other sufferers after the World Cup, using his revelations to shine light on the side of professional football rarely seen.Asked why he is so honest, Rose told IRN via Evening Standard:“I don’t know, really.“It is the best job in the world, don’t get me wrong, but I think people seem to think there’s no other issues within football. You just get your money at the end of the month and you play every week.Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“You know, there’s so much more to football than what people may see on a Saturday. I don’t believe in hiding that from people.“Even though I feel very privileged to play football, it’s not something I would – with the things I’ve experienced within the game – be shouting from the rooftops to recommend to people’s children to be a footballer.“Because there are a lot of things that happen on a day-to-day basis at club football that I wouldn’t wish on anybody.”Rose would not go into specifics but added:“There’s pressure, there’s politics – there’s loads of things.“There’s not just playing on a Saturday and you receiving your money at the end of the month. There’s so, so much more to football than what people see.
For Morecambe winger Kevin Ellison, the rating EA Sports gave him for his pace is not a reflection of his real-life statisticsEnglish winger Kevin Ellison has been playing professionally since 1996.And with almost 40 years of age, the Morecambe footballer is one of those lucky players from the lower divisions that is present in the FIFA 19 video game.But his FIFA card has become a meme.FIFA gamers will have rules like those in football Manuel R. Medina – July 30, 2019 To make eSports fairer to everyone, FIFA gamers will have to adhere to rules like in football: from fraud prevention to drug testing.The veteran footballer has been given a 35 pace rating, making him one of the slowest players in the same.But he has taken his 15-minutes of fame with a laugh.“So as this has been trending the last 24 hours, my solicitor is onto this matter,” he wrote on Twitter as reported by The Sport Bible.“#AgeDiscrimination, you will be hearing from my brief very shortly @EASportsFIFA.”
Shops owned by Muslim in Sri Lanka attacked as tensions remain after Easter Sunday bombingstwitterSri Lanka said on Monday it was temporarily blocking some social media networks and messaging apps, including Facebook and WhatsApp, after mosques and Muslim-owned businesses were attacked in the wake of Easter bombings by Islamist militants.Several dozen people threw stones at mosques and Muslim-owned stores and a man was beaten in the town of Chilaw on the west coast on Sunday in a dispute that started on Facebook, sources told Reuters.Authorities said they arrested the author of a Facebook post, identified as 38-year-old Abdul Hameed Mohamed Hasmar, whose online comment “1 day u will cry” locals said was interpreted as threatening violence.Authorities arrested a group in the nearby areas of Kuliyapitiya and Dummalasuriya later on Sunday and early on Monday for allegedly attacking Muslim-owned businesses, a police source told Reuters.Military spokesman Sumith Atapattu said people in the area then demanded the arrested men be released.”To control the situation, a police curfew was imposed during the night,” Atapattu said.The flare-up in violence came three weeks after Sri Lankan Islamist bombers blew themselves up in four hotels and three churches, killing more than 250 people.Since then, Muslim groups say they have received dozens of complaints from across the country about people being harassed. Other communities say they are fearful that the government, which failed to act on successive warnings about looming Islamist attacks, has not caught all potential militants.Sri Lanka has used temporary bans on social media in an attempt to curb misinformation and rumours.”Social media blocked again as a temporary measure to maintain peace in the country,” Nalaka Kaluwewa, the director general of the Department of Government Information, told Reuters on Monday.A violent clash erupted a week ago in Negombo, where more than 100 people were killed during Easter prayers, between Muslims and Christians after a traffic dispute.The government also imposed a ban on social media after that clash.
Angela Hernandez is found at the bottom of a cliff in Monterey County, California, 13 July 2018, in picture obtained via social media. Photo: ReutersAn Oregon woman who disappeared a week ago was rescued from the bottom of a California coastal cliff where she survived by drinking water from the radiator of her wrecked sports utility vehicle, authorities said on Saturday.Angela Hernandez, 23, of Portland was found by a pair of hikers on Friday evening after they saw her wrecked Jeep Patriot SUV partially submerged at the bottom of a 200-foot cliff in the Big Sur area, said Monterey County Sheriff’s Office spokesman John Thornburg.Her disappearance captured widespread attention after she and her vehicle were last seen on a surveillance camera video at a Carmel gas station on July 6, about 50 miles north of the stretch of Highway 1 where she was found.The hikers discovered Hernandez conscious, breathing and with a shoulder injury, Thornburg said.Rescuers managed to get her up the cliff and to a helicopter which flew her to a nearby hospital. She was in fair and stable condition but appeared to have suffered a concussion during the collision, the California Highway Patrol said in a statement.Hernandez told investigators she swerved to avoid hitting an animal on Highway 1 on 6 July and plunged over the cliff north of Nacimiento Fergusson Road.She stayed alive “by drinking water from the radiator of her vehicle,” according to the Highway Patrol.”It’s usually the fall that gets them, or the ocean that gets them, and she was lucky to survive both,” said Thornburg.Hernandez was on a road trip from her home in Portland to visit her sister Isabel in Lancaster, Los Angeles County, when she crashed.”My sister survived 7 days alone 200ft down a cliff on HW1,” her sister Isabel Hernandez said in a Facebook post on Saturday. “This is very traumatic and will be a slow recovery process.”
Lyneth Nyabiosi and her husband, Willie Evans III pleaded guilty to falsely billing Nyabiosi’s employer, Sheppard Pratt Health Systems, for $2.7M. Sheppard Pratt, located in Towson, Maryland, is a top rated mental health hospital. From November 2005 to September 2014, Nyabiosi served as the director of the Health Information Management Department (HIM Department) of Sheppard Pratt.Their plea agreements state that, Nyabiosi and Evans controlled and operated the entity known as IMST, which was created to appear as an independent third party contractor, but was in fact created by the defendants to accomplish the fraud scheme. On March 7, 2007, Nyabiosi, on behalf of Sheppard Pratt, entered into a contract with IMST to manage medical records for Sheppard Pratt. Nyabiosi neglected to inform Sheppard Pratt that both she and her husband were affiliated with IMST, which was in direct violation of Sheppard Pratt’s conflict of interest policy.From 2007 to 2014, the defendants submitted over 180 false invoices requesting that Sheppard Pratt pay IMST for work which was never performed, or for excessively inflated amounts for the work that was actually performed. Nyabiosi personally approved all of the false invoices, causing Sheppard Pratt to mail checks to IMST totaling $2,742,791. The defendants deposited the money into their bank account for their personal use.The defendants have agreed to the entry of an order to forfeit and pay restitution of $2,742,791, and to forfeit two residences located in Bear and Newark, Delaware and three vehicles. The defendants face a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison for conspiring to commit mail fraud.The guilty pleas were announced by United States Attorney for the District of Maryland Rod J. Rosenstein and Special Agent in Charge Kevin Perkins of the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Oct. 16.
Letterkenny RoadNIXON’S CORNERPSNITRAFFIC & TRAVEL: ROAD IN DERRY CLOSED OVER FOUR VEHICLE COLLISION POLICE say the Letterkenny Road in Derry has been closed in both directions.It follows a road traffic collision involving four vehicles near Nixons Corner.Diversions are in place. ShareTweet Motorists are asked to avoid the area if possibleTRAFFIC & TRAVEL: ROAD IN DERRY CLOSED OVER FOUR VEHICLE COLLISION was last modified: November 16th, 2017 by John2John2 Tags: