Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Tuesday that the planned return of spectators to sports venues in England could be on hold for six months due to a sharp rise in coronavirus cases.A number of pilot test events, in which capacities have been capped at 1,000, have taken place and it was hoped venues would be allowed to welcome more spectators from the start of October.But Johnson set out a range of tough new restrictions for England designed to limit the spread of COVID-19. “We have to acknowledge that the spread of the virus is now affecting our ability to reopen business conferences, exhibitions and large sporting events,” he told the House of Commons.”So we will not be able to do this from October 1 and I recognize the implications for our sports clubs which are the life and soul of our communities, and… the Chancellor and the Culture Secretary are working urgently on what we can do now to support them.”He said the measures being announced on Tuesday would remain in place for “perhaps six months”.It is a devastating blow to sporting organizations, many of whom rely heavily on match-day revenue for survival, and there have already been calls from governing bodies for the government to provide emergency funding. Topics : Professional sport, including the Premier League and Test cricket, has largely been played behind closed doors since it returned following the coronavirus shutdown earlier this year.The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport confirmed all pilot events scheduled for September had now been cancelled. They will now take place with no fans. Stark warning The English Football League has estimated its clubs will lose a collective £200 million ($255 million) without fans in stadiums for the whole of the 2020/21 season.The Premier League warned of the “devastating impact” the continued absence of supporters was beginning to have on its clubs and communities.”Football is not the same without attending fans and the football economy is unsustainable without them,” the league said in a statement.”Last season, Premier League clubs suffered £700 million in losses and at present, our national game is losing more than £100 million per month. This is starting to have a devastating impact on clubs and their communities.”We are confident that Premier League clubs, using innovative ways to get supporters safely back into grounds, will enable revenues to return to all levels of the game, as well as maintain solidarity arrangements, current tax contributions and financial support for local and national economies.”The Football Supporters’ Association said it was “crucial” to the survival of clubs to get spectators back into grounds as soon as it was safe to do so.Bristol Bears boss Pat Lam said a ban on fans for up to six months would have a “huge impact” on rugby clubs in the English PremiershipThe Jockey Club called for direct government support.”Without paying spectators, the largest revenue streams for many sports have been cut off for six months to date,” said group chief executive Nevin Truesdale.”And, with no prospect of a change soon, this threatens the survival of sports organizations and the many livelihoods they support.”
Uijen also plays a supervisory role at Schilders, the industry-wide scheme for painters and decorators, and the company pension fund of custodian Kas Bank.Meanwhile, SBZ also appointed Jobert Koomans and Reiniera van der Feltz-Doude as independent executive board members.Koomans has been working as managing consultant/partner at pensions adviser Towers Watson Netherlands.He is also an expert trustee at the large industry-wide scheme for the building sector BpfBouw.Van der Feltz has been working in several banking positions at Van Lanschot Bankiers and Rabobank International.The trustees will be part of a new board model, consisting of an independent chair, two executive board members and eight non-executive trustees.SBZ is a non-mandatory industry-wide pension fund with approximately 12,500 participants. Eric Uijen, director of the €1.2bn pension fund for notaries (SNPF) in the Netherlands, has been appointed independent chairman at SBZ, the €3.7bn pension fund for care insurers.Uijen succeeds Ruben Wenselaar, who will continue as a trustee.Uijen is a veteran of the pensions and financial services sector, and has served as director of the notaries scheme since 2012.He has also served as director at Horeca, the pension fund for the Dutch hospitality industry, as well as the pension fund for industrial conglomerate Stork, which has now joined the metal scheme PME.
Norway’s sovereign wealth fund has divested one of the world’s largest telecommunications companies over allegations of corruption and bribery.The NOK7.1trn (€742bn) Government Pension Fund Global’s Council on Ethics last year investigated ZTE Corporation, listed on the Shenzhen and Hong Kong stock exchanges, over concerns it was responsible for gross corruption, as defined by the fund’s own exclusion guidelines.In a statement, the fund’s manager, Norges Bank Investment Management, said its executive committee felt it was inappropriate to exercise its ownership rights to bring about change and instead opted to divest its stake worth NOK85m, accounting for just 0.15% in voting rights.The Council’s report from June last year noted the company had been sent a draft version of its report but had not commented in the findings, which listed allegations of corruption in 18 countries. The report adds: “All corruption allegations against ZTE of which the Council is aware relate to the payment of bribes to public officials to secure the award of contracts.“In 2012, ZTE’s representative in Algeria was sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment for corruption in connection with a contract won by ZTE in the country.”The report points out that, following the sentencing of the representative in Algeria, the company was barred from bidding for public contracts for two years.It also cites allegations of corruption in Zambia, Kenya, the Philippines, Myanmar, Nigeria and Liberia, and claims “large” commission payments were passed to the prime minister of Papua New Guinea.The decision to exclude ZTE from the sovereign fund’s investment universe comes only a month after it decided to remove Alstom from its observation list after previous concerns over corruption.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesLink to recommendation by Council on Ethics
DES MOINES — The totals are in for the first full month of sports betting in the state. Gamblers wagered around $38.5 million at the 15 casinos that offered sports betting in September.Nearly $21.8 million of that came in on-line bets and the rest was at the on-site betting parlors. Ten of the casinos took in one-million or more dollars in bets — led by Prairie Meadows Casino in Altoona at a little more than $14.5 million.The Ameristar in Council Bluffs was second in betting at nearly $3.8 million, followed by the Isle Casino in Waterloo with around $3.5 million.The Diamond Jo Worth casino near Northwood had the sixth highest take for the month of September with just under $2.3 million.Casinos and their sports betting partners kept around five million dollars in September — and paid the state $334,552 in taxes.Sports gambling began on August 15th and there were around $8.5 million in bets placed in those first 16 days. Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino — $14,525,771.63Ameristar II — $3,798,474.21Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo — $3,537,218.54Riverside Casino — $2,755,276.27Horseshoe Casino Council Bluffs — $2,354,588.05Diamond Jo Worth —- $2,297,106.75Isle of Capri -Bettendorf — $2,214,581.14Lakeside Casino — $1,587,337.92Rhythm City Casino — $1,259,600.74Grand Falls Casino Resort — $1,145,977.36Diamond Jo Dubuque — $978,825.50Harrah’s Council Bluffs Casino & Hotel — $835,214.20Q Casino (Dubuque) — $566,870.85Catfish Bend Casino — $389,425.19Hard Rock Casino — $282,652.70