After all is said and done, it came to one thing: give the former stars a chance to prove themselves. And for three weeks, Team Debbah went through rigorous coaching seminar recently held in Monrovia.Among the participants were the Miracle Man, James Salinsa Debbah, Joe Nagbe, Janjay Jacobs, Kervin Sebwe, Christopher Wreh Oliver Makor, and the legend himself, George Manneh Weah.“It was an incredible experience as these former soccer stars sat through the seminar day after day,” said an eye-witness. The coaches were CAF Elite instructors, Henry Browne and Francis Tamba, assisted by former national Coach J. Kaetu Smith.Among the subjects discussed included the philosophy of coaching or how to turn an ordinary player into a quality footballer. “This was important because a coach must understand how to mold and impart quality knowledge into unsung players,” said an official who was at the program for all the twenty one days.With James Debbah in the lead, the coaches asked many questions and they got answers. It was an interactive discussion as the former soccer stars posed many questions and the elite coaches provided them the required answers.The would-be coaches, in their illustrations, identified certain situations that happened when they were actively playing abroad.“It was a shocking experience as the former super stars who played across Europe examined the information given them,” said another eye-witness.A member of the coaching staff told the Daily Observer yesterday, “We were impressed that these former super stars were brainstorming and drawing up their own conclusions.” He said by allowing them to manage the various national teams as coaches does not mean that all is well with Liberian football.“At least we have begun the process and only time will show us how right our decision is,” he said, “we now have people handling the national teams who have had firsthand experience playing abroad under varied coaches and they are bringing those experiences to help those young players that they would be developing.”That the newly appointed coaches demonstrated rigid determination for a better soccer program in Liberia was the fact that they were able to, during the early interviews conducted by the technical department of the LFA, convince officials why they are the best to lead the change that Liberian football needs presently.“It will be unfair to declare that there will be absolute success to lour football program because we have former players as coaches,” one of the Elite coaches told the Daily Observer, “what we’re doing is we are moving in the right direction with people who can and are able to transform their experiences into our players for a better performance.”The Daily Observer learned that the transformation of former soccer stars into firs class coaches is a process, being developed by the LFA to ensure that there is a pool of players to help the national effort.“The LFA is impressed by the commitment of those appointed,” an official said, “and we hope the general soccer public will support the process to use former players who are able to deal with local and professional players when it is necessary.”The general deportment of the participants, their interactive involvement and the effective manner they provided answers to why they are capable for the job, convinced the LFA that the exercise is worthy.“We are satisfied that all the participating coaches understood the philosophy of the game,” an Elite coach said. “That is fundamental in successful coaching.”The process now continues on December 4, at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium at 9a.m. with practical application of the knowledge so far gained.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Rice crop faces further setbackAus and Aman rice crops, as well as vegetables, have suffered a severe blow like the Boro crop in the recent floods in 40 districts of the country.The Boro rice crop was affected by the floods only in the haor regions whereas the recent floods inundated 652,654 hectares of Aus and Aman croplands in the 40 districts, revealed agovernment estimation.The agricultural extension department (DAE) expected that rice production from each hectare of land will be around 3.5 tonnes. According to that estimation, the production of rice was expected to be at least 2.3 million tonnes from the land that went under water.The rice production may fall by as much as one million tonnes if half of the expected amount of production is destroyed due to the floods this season.An estimate of the agricultural affairs ministry revealed that the production of rice in the Boro season fell by one million tonnes in the haor regions.Contrary to this estimate, the food ministry says the production diminished by two million tonnes whereas the rice mill owners claimed that the production shortage was four million tonnes.Agricultural ministry secretary, Mohammad Moinuddin Abdullah, said to Prothom Alo, “We are making a list of affected farmers. We shall provide them with seeds and other agricultural equipment as soon as the floodwater recedes.”“We have already prepared a list of 600,000 affected farmers of the haor regions. They will receive agricultural rehabilitation assistance very soon,” he hoped.According to economists, the country will suffer from a serious shortage of rice this year. The government has already signed memorandum of understanding (MoU) and rice import agreements with four countries to tackle the situation. But the amount of rice imported so far is inadequate.According to food ministry’s daily food grain situation report, prepared on Monday, the government has imported 46,000 tonnes of rice while private entrepreneurs have imported 262,000 tonnes from July till now.The report also said the stock of rice in the government warehouses at present is 295,000 tonnes. The stock was about 700,000 tonnes in the same period last year.Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS) researcher M Asaduzzamn told Prothom Alo that the production of Boro and Aman rice could be 10 per cent less [than the previous year].“As a result the price hike might put poor people’s food security at risk. This is why the government should buy imported rice from the businessmen and increase the stock on an emergency basis.”*The article originally published in Prothom Alo print edition is rewritten in English by Shameem Reza
A woman gave birth to a baby girl on the road at Tangail on Tuesday morning on her way to Kurigram from Gazipur to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr with her near and dear ones. Photo: CollectedStuck in long gridlock for hours, a woman gave birth to a baby girl on the road at Tangail on Tuesday morning on her way to Kurigram from Gazipur to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr with her near and dear ones, reports UNB.The newborn was named ‘Swarani’ to remember the incident.Baby’s father Habib Hossain of Porarvita village in Kurigram Sadar upazila said he along with his pregnant wife started for their village home from Gazipur by a bus in the early hours.They got stuck in a long tailback on the Dhaka-Tangail highway and reached the roundabout of the Bangabandhu Bridge around 10:00am when her wife went into labour, he said, adding that then they got down from the bus.Later, his wife gave birth to a baby girl through normal delivery by the road around 10:30am, Habib said.In the meantime, a passenger of the bus called national emergency helpline 999 for help, he added.Two nurses from Bhuapur Upazila Health Complex rushed in by an ambulance and they provided the mother and the baby with primary treatment.Sajeda Khatun, senior nurse of the hospital, said the baby was born before they arrived at the spot.Both the mother and the baby girl were doing well, she said, that the couple started for their home again along with the baby girl.Day-labourer and part-time rickshaw-puller, Habib lives in Gazipur with his wife. They were going to their village home to celebrate Eid with other family members.
One of the largest producers of aluminum in the world, Norsk Hydro, was hit by a cyber attack in the company’s IT system on Monday evening affecting major parts of its smelting operations. The attack which escalated overnight and which is still ongoing has caused the company to resort to manual operations at its smelting facilities. The company’s website is currently down and it is posting updates to Facebook. Hydro said that IT systems in most business areas are impacted. According to a statement to BBC, Hydro said that the digital systems at its smelting plants were programmed to ensure machinery worked efficiently. However, these systems had to be turned off. The company is unsure what type of cyber attack it is facing or who is responsible. “We are working to contain and neutralize the attack. It is too early to assess the full impact of the situation. It is too early to assess the impact on customers. We have established a dialogue with all relevant authorities”, the firm updated on their Facebook post. “They are much more reliant today on computerised systems than they were some years ago. But they have the option of reverting back to methods that are not as computerised, so we are able to continue production”, a Hydro spokesperson told BBC. According to Reuters, “The company shut several metal extrusion plants, which transform aluminum ingots into components for car makers, builders, and other industries, while its giant smelters in countries including Norway, Qatar and Brazil were being operated manually.” A Norwegian National Security Authority (NSM) spokesperson said, “We are helping Norsk Hydro with the handling of the situation, and sharing this information with other sectors in Norway and with our international partners.” Hydro is arranging a press meeting on Tuesday, 19 Mar 2019 at 14:00:00 GMT where it will inform everyone about the cyber-attack. We will keep you updated as and when updates to this story is announced. In the meantime, you can check out Norsk Hydro’s Facebook wall for updates. Read Next 5 nation joint Activity Alert Report finds most threat actors use publicly available tools for cyber attacks How social media enabled and amplified the Christchurch terrorist attack Microsoft claims it halted Russian spearphishing cyberattacks