Tag: 上海夜网PC

Costa Rican authorities arrest Augustin Reyes Aragon, alleged leader of ‘Los Tarzanes’

first_img Reyes Aragon has been wanted for drug trafficking since 2010, when Nicaraguan police issued an arrest warrant for him. The OIJ had been investigating the activities of Reyes Aragon and Los Tarzanes since 2012, according to OIJ Director Francisco Segura Montero. Los Tarzanes, which is allegedly is run by Reyes Aragon and his six brothers, is suspected of smuggling cocaine from Colombia and marijuana from Jamaica into Costa Rica. Authorities believe Los Tarzanes operatives store the drugs in Limon for later shipment by boat or truck to Honduras and Mexico, or for sale in Costa Rica’s domestic illicit drug market. Los Tarzanes In addition to the arrests of the suspected members of Los Tarzanes, Costa Rica police and security forces have scored a number of successes against transnational criminal organizations engaged in the drug trade. For example, on June 10 and 11, 2014, the Costa Rica Coast Guard seized more than 4 tons of cocaine found on Costa Rican fishing boats off the Pacific Coast. The seizure was reportedly the largest in the country’s history. Costa Rican drug seizures have more than doubled since 2011. Costa Rica security forces have dismantled more than a dozen international drug trafficking operations since 2006, according to published reports. The capture of Reyes Aragon and the increase in drug seizures may indicate that Costa Rican security forces are improving their effectiveness in fighting drug trafficking, said Armando Rodríguez Luna, a security analyst at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). Costa Rican security forces have improved their effectiveness in fighting Los Tarzanes and other organized crime groups “because they have improved their ability to protect the country’s border in the fight against drug trafficking, and they have continued to collaborate and exchange information with other governments in joint border operations,” according to Rodríguez Luna. Julieta Pelcastre contributed to this article. Costa Rican authorities have arrested the alleged leader of a Nicaraguan drug trafficking group known as Los Tarzanes. Agents of Costa Rica’s Judicial Investigation Body (OIJ) arrested Agustin Reyes Aragon, 40, on June 12. They arrested Reyes Aragon during a series of raids in the Caribbean coastal province of Limon. Security forces also detained three other suspects: a Nicaraguan man, a Honduran man, and a female whose nationality was not immediately determined. OIJ agents confiscated two AK-47 assault rifles, a vehicle and currency in the amount of $14,000 (USD) and one million colones during the raids. Wanted in Nicaragua center_img Los Tarzanes was founded in the mid-1990s as part of a drug trafficking network operated by the now defunct Norte del Valle Cartel in Colombia, Nicaraguan police have said. Operating primarily as transporters, Los Tarzanes operatives use go-fast boats and vehicles to move shipments of Colombian cocaine and precursor chemicals for methamphetamine production north for eventual sale to Mexican transnational criminal organizations such as the Gulf Cartel (CDG). Los Tarzanes was originally based along Nicaragua’s southern border. In recent years, as Nicaraguan security forces have increased patrols in that region, the drug trafficking group has increased its operations on the Costa Rican border. Costa Rican security successes By Dialogo July 02, 2014last_img read more

Read more…

WHO lowers reported Marburg toll in Angola

first_img Also yesterday, Latina Prensa (Latin American News Agency) quoted an Angolan official as saying the disease has killed more than 400 people. The story said Health Minister Sebastiao Veloso told reporters “that the infection still inflicts fatalities every five or six days, and that the death toll already exceeds 400 in four months, affecting seven provinces.” See also: MSF said the epidemic “seems to be grinding to a halt,” with only a few new cases confirmed in the past few weeks. “MSF has ended its emergency intervention and handed over its activities,” the article said. After a review of data on the epidemic, the Angolan Ministry of Health reported a total of 351 cases, 312 of them fatal, the WHO said today. In a Jun 17 update, the WHO had listed the Ministry of Health’s tally as 422 cases with 356 deaths. The WHO offered no explanation for the change in the numbers. However, the WHO statement said the outbreak response team in Angola “is currently following up 64 contacts in Uige Province,” where the vast majority of cases have occurred. “The team continues to receive and investigate alerts to potential cases,” the WHO said. “Clinical specimens from alerts are being transported to the Canadian National Microbiology Laboratory.” Jun 17 WHO report on Marburg epidemichttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_06_17/en/index.html The story says that 16 staff members in Uige’s main hospital died of Marburg as a result of inadequate infection control measures. The MSF article describes the difficulties that medical workers faced as they worked to control the epidemic by quickly burying bodies and isolating patients while trying not to alienate the population. People suspected of being infected were often reluctant to go to health facilities for diagnosis and possible isolation, mainly because there is no cure for the disease. The medical aid group Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF), or Doctors without Borders, in an article published online yesterday, put the size of the outbreak at 391 cases with 350 deaths. Dr. Armand Sprecher, a public health specialist who has dealt with both Ebola fever and Marburg, called Marburg “even scarier” than Ebola. “A person can feel a bit weak and look slightly ill but drop dead the next day,” he was quoted as saying. Jul 13 WHO statement on Marburg epidemichttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_07_13/en/index.html Jul 13, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – The latest report from the World Health Organization (WHO) on the Marburg hemorrhagic fever epidemic in Angola gives significantly lower numbers of cases and deaths than previous reports. Meanwhile, still other numbers have been reported by other sources this week. The report says Marburg is hard to detect, with symptoms—high fever, diarrhea, and vomiting—that resemble those of other common tropical diseases such as malaria. “The disease is not as dramatic and ‘gory’ as media reports portray it to be,” the story says.last_img read more

Read more…

Former cop, youth worker and bereaved father against cannabis legislation

first_imgStuff co.nz 23 June 2020Family First Comment: South Cantabrians are against a groundbreaking proposal to change New Zealand’s cannabis laws, include a former senior sergeant, youth worker and bereaved father – and they’re hoping their experiences may help inform others ahead of September’s referendum.Former police officer Mark Offen points out that alcohol reform has not protected youth, and he sees the proposed new bill in the same light. “The alcohol age limit is 18, but the defacto limit is 12 or 13. It will be the same with cannabis, the limit of 20 will see 14 and 15 year-olds trying it.”South Cantabrians against a groundbreaking proposal to change New Zealand’s cannabis laws, include a former senior sergeant, youth worker and bereaved father – and they’re hoping their experiences may help inform others ahead of September’s referendum.Voters will get the opportunity to decide for or against the Cannabis Legislation and Control Bill at the general election in September. The bill, which aims to regulate production, supply and consumption of cannabis to those aged 20 and over, has already drawn mixed reactions.One of those who opposes the changes, is former senior sergeant Mark Offen – who spent 30 years working on the front line and has seen the impact of drug use first hand.“Once the genie is out of the bottle you can’t put it back,” warns Offen.Offen, who left the police force four years ago, is concerned that there was no evidence that the legislation was the best thing to do as academic experts on both sides of the argument presented equally compelling points of view.READ MORE: https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/121420223/former-cop-youth-worker-and-bereaved-father-against-cannabis-legislationlast_img read more

Read more…

Alli on target in friendly win

Dele Alli marked his first Tottenham run-out with a goal as Brentford were overcome 2-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Wednesday. The midfielder converted the second spot-kick of the match in stoppage-time, with Shaq Coulthirst having scored the first before Jermaine Udumaga pulled one back at the death. Toby Alderweireld also played his first match for Spurs since joining from Atletico Madrid, starting the match alongside fellow new boys Kevin Wimmer and Kieran Trippier. Press Association Signed from MK Dons in February, the 19-year-old was spent the remainder of last season on loan at his home-town club, helping them secure automatic promotion from League One. It meant Alli’s first appearance for Spurs only arrived on Wednesday, when his penalty helped overcome the Championship Bees 2-1 at Hotspur Way. read more

Read more…