Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has not given up hope of Daniel Sturridge playing some part in the Merseyside derby. Press Association The England striker has been sorely missed by the Reds since sustaining a thigh injury on international duty earlier this month but is inching ever closer to a comeback. In his absence Rodgers’ side have lost to Aston Villa and West Ham, snuck a last-gasp win over Ludogorets in the Champions League and required penalties to see off Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup. The 19-year-old forward, whose contract at Anfield runs until 2017, is one of the brightest young talents in the Premier League and has had an impressive start to the season but his manager is not losing sleep over the reported interest. “It shows that he’s playing exceptionally well,” said Rodgers. “I think you could probably link Raheem with every club in the world at the moment. He’s a fantastic young talent. “I’ve nothing really to add to it. There’s obviously lots of speculation every day about players coming and going here at Liverpool. “He’s a wonderful boy who’s developing very, very well here. I think him and his representatives and the people close to him know how comfortable he is here and I’m sure at some point in the future, whatever contract we’re looking to work with will be sorted, but he’s still got three years left and there’s no rush from my perspective.” They would dearly love to unleash the 25-year-old against their neighbours at Anfield but although Rodgers was upbeat about his recovery, an appearance this weekend appears to be based on hope as much as expectation. “We’ll be very happy to have him back and we hope that can be this weekend,” said the Northern Irishman. “We’ve got a number of injuries that we’re going to give every chance to. “He (Sturridge) is a player who’s out on the field working. Him and a number of others we’ll just assess nearer the time. But if he doesn’t make it he won’t be far off after that. “He’s someone that responds well to treatment. Obviously it’s gone well but there are still a couple of days to go before the game. The most important thing is he’s near to fitness. “He certainly won’t be match-fit, he hasn’t played for a few weeks, but it’ll be great to have him back because he’s a wonderful player for us. “He’s a great reference for our team at the top of the field, his pace and movement and quality, which we saw the last time he played against Tottenham.” Another of Rodgers’ talented young England stars, Raheem Sterling, has been linked this week with Spanish giants Real Madrid.
While Rafa Nadal’s conqueror, Lucas Pouille takes on his fellow Frenchman, Gael Monfils.Last night, second seed Andy Murray eased into the last-8 with a straight sets victory over Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov. First up, women’s second seed Angelique Kerber faces seventh seed Roberta Vinci of Italy. While Caroline Wozniacki goes up against Anastasija Sevastova of Latvia. Men’s top seed Novak Djokovic continues the defence of his title against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Jofra ArcherAdvertisement NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs5tWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E7pd8( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) bpWould you ever consider trying this?😱7gdmCan your students do this? 🌚57s4dRoller skating! Powered by Firework England’s World Cup hero, Jofra Archer has condemned the racial abuse he suffers “on a regular basis” – while asking the authorities to take proper action. On Tuesday the 24-year-old speedster uploaded a screenshot of the racial slurs he received on the social media platform Instagram a couple of days ago, citing that he does not understand why someone would make such comments. Advertisement Picture Credit: BBC Sport“I have given a lot of thought about reacting to this and I hope no one else has to deal with stuff like this on a regular basis, it is not ever acceptable and should be addressed properly in my opinion. I will never understand how people feel so free to say these things to another human being, it baffles me,” Archer wrote on his Instagram story along with the screenshot of the racial abuse on Monday evening.Picture Credit: IG/jofraarcherThe Rajasthan Royals bowler, who helped England lift their first ever World Cup last year at home, said the issue needed to be “addressed properly”.Advertisement However, this isn’t the first time that Archer has been subjected to racial abuse. During England’s tour of New Zealand last November, Archer experienced the shameful practice as he scored a second-innings 30 during England’s defeat in Mount Maunganui.“A bit disturbing hearing racial insults today while battling to help save my team. The crowd has been amazing this week except for that one guy. The Barmy Army was good as usual also.” Archer tweeted after the match.Advertisement Following the incident, a police investigation was launched and the New Zealand Cricket Council on January announced that a 28-year-old man had been identified as the perpetrator. The man was then handed a ban from all of the country’s stadiums for two years while being issued a verbal warning for using insulting language by the authorities.But Archer feels that isn’t enough to stop such incidents. The Sussex pacer who is recovering from a stress fracture in his elbow, last week, tweeted a link to a YouTube video which accused him of pulling “race card nonsense” regarding the abuse he suffered in New Zealand.“This is the most rubbish I’ve ever seen on the internet and it makes me sick to my stomach,” he said in the tweet. You may also like:Jofra Archer subjected to racial abuse in innings defeat, New Zealand Cricket issues apologyPolice are investigating alleged racially-aggravated assault at Chelsea’s club academy Advertisement