Fire ravages ornament maker’s home

first_imgA Hadfield Street, Georgetown man is now left without a roof over his head after a fire completely ravaged his home just before midnight on Saturday.House owner Rudy Morgan said he was awakened by a crackling sound and intense heat on his body, and upon checking, saw that his Lot 47 Hadfield Street Lodge home was on fire.The man, who makes ornaments along Main Street Georgetown, was the lone occupant of the one-flat wooden house. He recalled that, before going to bed, he had lit a mosquito coil, which he surmised might have been the cause of the fire.“I was sleeping, I was on my bed…to tell you the truth, I got lil water under my house, so the mosquitoes were a lot. So I light two coils, and then I went to bed, went under my netting and went to sleep. When I sleeping, I feel the heat on my skin, so I jump up,” Morgan relayed.Rudy MorganThe man recounted that he quickly hopped out of bed and made attempts to douse the flames before the fire spread further, but this proved futile.“I run and I used some bottled water that I had to try and out the fire, but before I know it, the fire ran through half of my house,” he explained.Fearing for his safety, Morgan said, he exited the house and began calling on neighbours to alert them.The Fire Service was also called to the scene; however, by the time they arrived, the entire house was already burnt to the ground.The ornament-maker estimates his losses to be in excess of $1 million. He told this publication that all his craft items have been destroyed in the fire.“I had all of my ornaments that I does sell in here and outside, and everything burned. I lost my livelihood, because all the materials that I does use and so gone,” Morgan cried.Now homeless, the man is calling on the public to lend him assistance in rebuilding. He revealed that all the cash he had in his home has been lost in the fire.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *